Lyre Bronze Tuning Peg ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Brubaker50, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

Had this on before I think and thought it was something else entirely but scrolling through some photos I saw a very similar object described as a part of an Anglo Saxon Lyre and wondered if that is the case.Bought many years ago with a collection of Viking, Chinese and Anglo Saxon items.Around 10 cms in length any help appreciated . 4BB19C5D-F5E2-43EB-A1CB-4DB3E49075F5.jpeg

2. Brubaker50

Also have this other piece saw a very similar piece at the British Museum described as an Anglo Saxon tuning peg. anglo saxon peg.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Possible I suppose; modern harp or autoharp pegs have screw-threads at the bottom; but I suppose in earlier times they might just have been driven into holes drilled in the wood.
    One might think they would not hold the tuning; but they are not that much different from violin-pegs; and violin-pegs have been holding their tuning for hundreds of years, without any fancy mechanical construction.
    Just glancing at a violin-peg, one would probably think "that's never going to work." But they do; and these might as well.

kyratango likes this.
  4. Brubaker50

Thanks for looking it’s much appreciated.

all_fakes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted