Machined deco-ish brass candle holders

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by aaroncab, Dec 5, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Snatched these up today - machined out of solid brass, 2 3/4" (7cm) tall. You wouldn't want to drop one on your toes - they each weigh just about 35 ounces (just a hair under 1 kilo each). I haven't cleaned the old felt off the bases yet to see if there's a mark or sig there.

What think you folks? Art Deco era, or more space age/mid century-ish? Thanks for taking a look!

49175921031_4cf4f2b3a9_kdev.jpg 49175432528_35c4e9c636_kdev.jpg 49175921151_95f8726a9a_kdev.jpg 49175921421_6255e7baaf_kdev.jpg 49175433043_c6125f23e8_kdev.jpg 49176137172_22c6fd39cf_kdev.jpg 49176137277_968ecd24ac_kdev.jpg 49175432828_0a7232143c_kdev.jpg 49176136877_20b678d36d_kdev.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like a school metal shops project.

3. aaroncab

Leave it to Holly to knock my opinion of these down a notch - LOL. I would think certainly these are better than a high school metal shop puts out... but you are a metalworking expert - I just buy what I like :)

4. Hollyblue

I just didn't think a professional would goof up the milling on the base as it is in the bottom photo.

5. aaroncab

It's true that one corner is a little off, but my pictures are larger than life size so it really doesn't come across as "off" when looking at it in person, unless you get real close.

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

those are nice Aaron, I would have bought them too:) my first thought was mid-century with the lines on the base - I'm sure there is a correct term for the lines but my mind is coming up blank:)

Lucille.b and aaroncab like this.
  7. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

I wonder if they were done on a shaper? Dennis

8. Hollyblue

I worked for a "narcissistic perfectionist" for a number of years.If it wasn't perfect under a 10X loupe,it went into the recycle bin or given back to make it perfect.

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see if there is something under the felt. Not sure what to say about the date of these. Was thinking from the pictures they were fairly large, but now see 2 3/4" in the description. They weight over 2lbs each? I guess you would need that kind of weight so the candle wouldn't tip, but that's a lot of brass there.

Hope you can find the maker. :)

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  10. aaroncab

Thanks Lucille, I did take felt off one last night. No marks... but that's okay, I love them as is. Yes, over 2 pounds each. Definitely heavy duty, and I've seen much lighter candle holders this size, but these aren't going to tip over, for sure!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Just a thought Aaron. During WW2, my Dad managed a 40mm plant while in the Navy. He had a number of talented workers who saved all the scraps. In their off times, they made some beautiful items. I had a number of them.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those look very 1940s to me.