Made In Belgium - Silk "Tapestry"?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lucashudd11, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Lucashudd11

Lucashudd11 Member

Hello,

I recently picked up this awesome silk "tapestry". It is about 4'6" x 4'6" and is stamped "Made in Belgium" on the back. The back is a muted version of the front - kind of like how a hand-knotted rug is the same pattern on both sides. As you can see, it is incredibly detailed.

For some reason I am super curious about this thing. My questions are as follows:
    • What is it?
    • Any guesses as to when it was made?
    • Was it handmade?
    • Is the design symbolic of anything?
    Thank you!

EDIT: found an extremely similar one on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Ol...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

another:https://www.etsy.com/listing/616574809/antique-silk-jacquard-tapestry-islamic

blank1-min.jpg blank33.jpg
    blank223.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's Islamic, a prayer mat. Not really a piano shawl. Did you burn test a thread? These are often rayon.

Lucashudd11 likes this.
  3. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I use this site to test threads .....
    Oh sorry, it won't copy the address.

Lucashudd11 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Lucashudd11

Lucashudd11 Member

Just did the burn test - at least for the fringe it is NOT silk, either rayon or cotton. I have dealt with enough silk I thought I could tell the difference at this point. I also thought islamic prayer mats were more sturdy and less "shawl-like".

This is disappointing but I really appreciate the response nonetheless! Mystery solved.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think all the ones I've ever seen were rayon, never silk.

Draft saved Draft deleted