Made in China Pottery Bottle / Candlestick - Style?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Mar 22, 2017.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me with the age / style / proper keywords for the decor on this, please? I got it at an estate sale, and it was used as a candlestick holder. I'm not sure that is what it is. I searched for China square candlestick / bottle / decanter (just in case), but I didn't come up with anything similar.

It has a raised 4-sided fishing scene. It's marked with an impressed "China", and still has a partial remnant of a tag, which I'm guessing was the importer. I saw on gotheborg where this could be 1920s or earlier, or up to the 1970s depending on where it was exported. Other than lots of candle wax, it also had several vintage "Freshen Up" gum wrappers inside - LOL.

Thanks! Oh - and the little carved wood stand is also marked "China".

IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i would think it's a vase....i've thrown a candy wrapper or two into them in my lifetime..

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Chinese vase, turquoise, landscape with lake against a backdrop of mountains. On rosewood stand.
    There is a specific name for these square vases, but my brain has gone blank.

CheersDears likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

" But my brain has gone blank " ......is a funny mane for a vase...!!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Bawhahaha!!!!!!

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I think they ran out of proper names:)

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  6. UncleChuckTX

Thanks - I did search for vase as well. I've also hidden gum & candy wrappers in various vessels, in want of a trash can. But those Freshen Up wrappers were a blast from the past. The green spearmint flavor was my grandma's favorite, and I remembered her digging little squares of gum out of her purse when asked.

Thanks. I'm guessing that color combination wouldn't be one of the "famille ..." groups. Is there a name for the raised / molded style of the subjects in the scene?

komokwa likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I think they should add famille turquoise to the list because it sounds nice (French pronunciation!), but the French had stopped naming the colour families before this vase was made. The name of the molded subjects is 'molded' .

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  8. UncleChuckTX

9. manny

manny Active Member

early 20th century according to the mark

10. UncleChuckTX

Thank you for the input. Given the English on the importer's tag, that's what I thought, too.

11. Any Jewelry

By the way, you could add 'Republic Period' to your keywords.

12. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Could that importer possibly be Sears Roebuck? Just a guess...

Draft saved Draft deleted