Featured Made in Holland? Ancoma? Not Blue and White

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Dec 9, 2020.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - I've cut back my buying quite a bit but I just couldn't leave this sitting on the shelf. I think it reads Ancoma, Hand Painted, Made in Holland but searching on those terms hasn't gotten me anywhere. It stands about 9" tall at the top of the handle. Any help regarding the history of this pitcher would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!
    Don

IMG_20201209_155530648.jpg IMG_20201209_155518846.jpg IMG_20201209_155603072.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It doesn't really look like Holland to me.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comment, Bronwen. I wonder if it could be Italian. I really like the drip effect.

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I ran this by a Dutch pottery group on Facebook and they believe it is German. I thought I'd run it by you all again to see if the new information helps in an ID. Thanks!

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I would have guessed Ancora, Italy, but I can't reconcile that with whatever it says after "MADE IN" on the bottom.

Fid and dgbjwc like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know where it was made however PZH (Gouda) had a somewhat similar line. I suppose someone else could have made something similar somewhere else in Holland.

From the book "The World of Gouda Pottery" by Ritvo.

img20210104_162149.jpg

Figtree3, dgbjwc and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Someone else has offered an opinion on my Facebook query that identifies it as Schoonhoven earthenware from the 1930's.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ancona rather than Ancora. I suspect it's the pattern name.

dgbjwc, Figtree3 and Fid like this.
  9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think it's Anconia or maybe Ancoma (counting the strokes), but it doesn't seem to matter, as I can't find either.

dgbjwc and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Jocey

Jocey New Member

I have been trying to find info on mine as well

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's great news.

Draft saved Draft deleted