Featured "Made in Italy" ceramic vase - colorful...fishes?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Sep 2, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

This vase is made up of 6 colorful(almost iridescent) sections that seem to be perhaps the form of fish - to my eye at least. Unfortunately has a small 1cm chip at the base but otherwise in great shape. Marked "made in italy" and an impressed number(1293) on the base. Anyone know who made this one? Mid century-ish? About 9" tall.

~

43490404014_a3994286d0_kdev.jpg 42400396340_2a8ccb9f31_kdev.jpg 42400396820_562f6a9b99_kdev.jpg 42400396970_22f92cc4e4_kdev.jpg 29271747167_eaf2417f26_kdev.jpg 44159854932_ed486f8564_kdev.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. aaroncab

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very nice.......good eye !!!!!!!!!!

5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very elegant shape, but I think floral rather than fishy? It looks a bit tulip inspired, but then I am Dutch.:)
    Upside down it looks more like garlic.

Jivvy, pearlsnblume, aaroncab and 5 others like this.
  7. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Because the vase lacks the company’s name or logo we will not be able to confirm precisely where or when the piece was made. To further complicate the matter is the fact that the vase is mold-made as is evidenced by the set of numbers seen on the base indicating that those numbers were impressed in the mold. Such molds may have been freely marketed to many different companies.
    In my opinion, however, there is little question that this vase was produced in the fifties in the area of Sesto Fiorentino, a suburb of Florence. Such examples of glaze color and finish are very common for the region. The gold trim helps to further add substance to the case for my assessment. If I had to select a firm operating in that location during the 1950’s that produced works similar to your example I would say that the most likely candidate is “Societa Italiana Ceramics Artistic Sestese” (SICAS).

Figtree3, Jivvy, Christmasjoy and 5 others like this.
  8. aaroncab

Thank you Walter - this is excellent information and very generous of you to share.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted