Made in Japan wooden toy ship

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Sep 28, 2022.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

I found this toy aircraft carrier recently. Made of wood and quite crude, it’s marked “Made in Japan” on the bottom, so I believe it is a commercial piece rather than homemade one. Any ideas about when it might date to? I’m thinking pre-WW2, i.e. 1930’s, but that’s just a gut feeling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bercrystal and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

interesting that it resembles a British Courageous Class aircraft carrier.....

Drew and David Askett like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG] maybe even the Glorious..

David Askett likes this.
  4. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

Interesting. I had assumed the toy was supposed to represent a Japanese carrier, but the green and gray camouflage is quite British-looking. The island is on the wrong side for a British aircraft carrier, but this isn’t exactly a precision model!

komokwa likes this.
  5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

A 1950s - 60s dime store piece. Both Germany and Japan resurrected themselves from their devastating WW2 defeat with a large toy making industry. The ones of noted interest are the late 40's toys marked 'occupied Japan' and the German toys marked 'U.S. Zone'.

Boland and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted