Made in Spain pottery charger plate multi colored design Help ID signature

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

This plate has been glued down onto something I think.

It is 15 1/2" diameter getting 01-IMG_9414.JPG 04-IMG_9417.JPG 05-IMG_9418.JPG 07-IMG_9420.JPG 09-IMG_9422.JPG 11-IMG_9424.JPG
    getting this epoxy or glue off might be a challenge, any sugessions.

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I'll have to look at some older records..................I handled about 300 German beer steins from a restaurant that had been fixed down on shelves..................I'm thinking lacquer thinner, but......................

3. Mugzinnys

Mansons2005 What do you think that they glued it to?

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Start simple. It will depend on the glue but maybe start with a tiny bit of water. If no luck maybe add a tiny bit of soap. I'd start with a tiny spot and q-tip. I often have good luck with isopropyl alcohol or acetone but just try a tiny spot to make sure it's only affecting the glue.

5. Mugzinnys

Thanks say_it_slowly

6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Probably to a wall, maybe even while it was standing on a shelf.......................in a commercial establishment you have to be careful not to smack the trade on its noggin.................

7. Mugzinnys

looks like the whole foot was inside something

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Probably did come off a wall. In Spanish, it would be called a cuenco. Modern as can be told from "Made in Spain."

Debora

9. Mugzinnys

What about the signature any guess is it an Initial and then a signature. Is there an online list of Spain potters on the internet somewhere.

I decide to stay away from the toxins using just a knife, bleach, and water. being that it all on the rear I can be a little rough and get the job done faster. Already I am developing a nice blister on my right forefinger. Here are a few images of the progress 1-IMG_9479.JPG 2-IMG_9480.JPG 3-IMG_9481.JPG 5-IMG_9483.JPG 6-IMG_9484.JPG 7-IMG_9485.JPG

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Stay away from chlorine bleach with ceramics. You can use peroxide if you rinse really well.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Charming but looks to be a fairly recent example of decorative pottery, the kind of thing one would buy at the market to hang on an interior or exterior wall. (Now that you've removed "gunk," can see it was designed to be hung.) Yours is a modern interpretation of a traditional style that I always thought was Italian Renaissance in origin. Could be wrong. And, in a quick internet search, seen it identified as being from Manises, Valencia (which is famous for lusterware.) Not sure if that's correct.

Debora

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd stick that whole thing in a bucket of hot water. I suspect it will be much easier to remove the gunk and crud.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

To me a cuenco is a bowl, I would call this a plato.
    It could be from Manises, I have seen this kind of ware being made there. Talavera makes similar ware, and maybe other ceramics places in Spain as well.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Like SIS said, back away from the bleach, it can cause serious problems with ceramics!

Draft saved Draft deleted