madonna etching need more info

Discussion in 'Art' started by rink28, Dec 29, 2018.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Hi, i picked this madonna etching up today. I was wondering if anyone knew who the artist was? Its titled "madonna" on the lower left. Then it has an embossed dove on the bottom and on the right is Has"p.a." Then it appears to have the letter M2010.Not sure what all that means? If anyone has any info that would be great thanks! etching1.jpg etching2.jpg etching3.jpg etching4.jpg etching5.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The M2010 is March, 2010; this looks really new and with that date is it. No idea whodunnit.

3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Yeah it is new but didn't know who done it but not sure if we will ever know haha

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

It's possible the "M" is actually a monogram... maybe JM ... I do agree that 2010 of the year...

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks evelyb30 and thanks Deborah and jivvy. Yes it could be a monogram never thought about that!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a charming etching, I love it.

p.a. is probably for 'prueba de artista', artist's proof in Spanish. Those are the first prints by the artist, a limited edition before the numbered prints were made. Originally meant as try-outs.
    p.a. could be the same in Italian or other Romance languages, but I don't know.

aaroncab, Jivvy and anundverkaufen like this.
  7. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Looks like a signature lower left in the plate.

Figtree3, i need help and Jivvy like this.
  8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Thank you for that-- it was one I either hadn't known or hadn't remembered!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

p.a. would also stand for "artist's proof" or "prova de artista" in Portuguese. However, Madonna is either Spanish or Italian... In Portuguese would be spelled Madona.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

@anundverkaufen , wow I cannot see anything there! Good eyesight!

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted