Mah-Jong Is Frowned Upon in China

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by spirit-of-shiloh, Nov 8, 2014.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Nov 05, 2014 per Kovels
    Would you believe Chinese government leaders are banning the 19th-century game of mah-jong among public officials—at least when they're supposed to be on the job. According to the Communist Party's official newspaper, "Communist officials organizing retreats … to have fun and play mah-jong … must resolutely stop." The game is apparently taking away time better spent reviewing party discipline and ideology. But while party leaders in China are objecting to the Asian game, it remains popular in other Asian countries and in the United States. Complete vintage mah-jong sets sell for about $150 to $250, depending on the appearance of the box and the condition of the box and game parts. Ivory tiles are most expensive. However, there are now restrictions on selling ivory.

[​IMG]

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I have three 1920s sets in the shed. No ivory, though, just bone and bamboo. Trouble is they are heavy and so quite expensive to send anywhere, which is why they are still there.

3. spirit-of-shiloh

WOW, yours are worth a few hundred bucks anyway,by the article it looks like like the game is only banned by the use of Government leaders.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I only had one old set which was bone and not ivory. My friends who are Chinese bought it off me to give to her parents. The are fanatical players. They were so happy with the set. It is the only one they use now. All of their friends/players love it. I asked what made it so special. They told me it was made in 1923 by a very noble and expensive family. She said it is like it was made by Tiffany & Co for the Governor of Texas. She says that they feel the workmanship as they touch the pieces.
    I can understand a little bit but it looks like a thousand other sets to me.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

My mother had a set, and used to play once a week through out my childhood.
    I can still hear the clacking of the pieces as they mixed them up , and the clucking of the ladies as they enjoyed each others company .
    The thing I remember most about the set that I haven't seen posted here are the metal chinese coins that each player had with the square hole in the middle so they could be stacked up on a metal pin at the end of each players board.
    The pin had a joint at the top , so the coins would stay put when not in use.

After my folks moved out of their house, I never saw that wonderful set again.

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I dug out twosets from the newly tidied shed.

1-P1040060.JPG

I may have over done the colour balance, it's not that white.
    1-P1040063.JPG

The other one has not lost the handles off the top of the box.
    1-P1040066.JPG

And is complete with 4 blank spare tiles,wind holder and winds, dice and instructions.

The bone has been very carefully bleached to look like ivory and is typically dovetail jointed to the bamboo.

1-P1040061.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice. I bet that would sell handily.

8. spirit-of-shiloh

Oh My! Af sure has a lot of treasures in that shed where the pickings abound.;) :p

Draft saved Draft deleted