Mahogany Buffet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ironheart, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Ironheart

Ironheart New Member

Hey there. Local seller here had an all Mahogany Buffet. The top on the one side needs a repair since the lid has split in half. General scratches besides that. Definitely not going to be a mint or original piece since itll need work.

Seller is asking $150 reduced from $300. Thinking of offering $100.

What do you all think? Any ID on age? Seller says Victorian era.

Thanks in advance Screenshot_20200827-072545_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200827-072548_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200827-072613_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200827-072559_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200827-072601_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200827-072605_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200827-072616_Facebook.jpg

2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Nice flame on the piece. Does it look like it had an upper piece like a mirror?

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. Adrian Lewis

Adrian Lewis Journeyman

As above, very nice flame mahogany panels. The lock and key escutcheon look right for early-mid 19thC so I would say this is an American Empire original. I may stand to be corrected on original or Revival as American furniture is not my strongest subject..

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

No, not even close to American Empire, late Classical, mid to late 19th century.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Those cracks would drive me crazy. Im sure they can be repaired (?) but would it be worth it ? Its a lovely wood , but with the damage Im not so sure its a good investment.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like the drawer has already been repaired.
    Color of wood is too light.
    upload_2020-8-27_10-41-21.png

7. Ironheart

Ironheart New Member

The investment would be my time as a wood worker to restore it. The breaks are a shame in both pieces but look manageable to repair in my opinion. Itll never be original because of the fact.

At $100 is it not a gamble since the wood itself is well worth that in and of itself. Repaired and possibly slightly refinished, what do you think the over value would be?

8. clutteredcloset49

It will all depend on where you are located and how you intend to sell it.

Unfortunately nice antique furniture is at a low point right now. People like the painted furniture. I actually refused to sell a mahogany sideboard(I have a store) when the lady said how nice it was going to look in white.:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

I doubt you will get your money back for the time you put in.
    However, if you just like projects and aren't looking to capitalize on your time. . .

Maybe @Ghopper1924 or @verybrad could give you a price range.

9. Ironheart

Ironheart New Member

It would absolutely not be painted. It makes me sick when I hear and see something be destroyed by a 5 dollar gallon of paint.

Not looking to sell after it's done. Thinking for a sweet side table or computer desk

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'm thinking very late Empire Revival, possibly 20th century.

I would do the minimum to get it looking nice in your opinion, after you get it for $100 (well worth it). Alot of work might get it up to $300, but it's already nicely adaptable for a computer desk, so I'd go in that direction.

11. Adrian Lewis

Adrian Lewis Journeyman

Other America Empire sideboards. I was going o the classical pillar shape of the period.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. James Conrad

Yes however, it's not Empire, it's really Late Classical. There is a GREAT DEAL OF CONFUSION on american empire furniture. American Empire is rare, hand made & expensive and is often confused with late classical/pillar & scroll/ empire revival, take your pick of style names.
    To get a better understanding of these styles you might read this, from the wayback machine.
    https://web.archive.org/web/2012070...e-furniture-isnt-always-empire-furniture.html

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    johnnycb09 likes this.
  13. James Conrad

Indeed, this late classical furniture was mass-produced by machines and there is a great deal of it floating around in perfect condition that is selling for a song at auction. It tends to be large, bulky and demand is very low, walk into any antique mall in America and you will find row after row of this late classical furniture sitting, in many cases sitting for years.

johnnycb09 and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late to the party but on board with Late Classical circa 1850. Think $100.00 for a piece like this that fits your personal needs is a no-brainer. Would think twice if buying for resale.

15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one confused by the way it looks disassembled ? It almost looks like 2 cabinets someone made a middle piece for .

James Conrad likes this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

Heavy pieces of furniture were often made in sections so that they could be moved.
    And yes you could easily take the center section out and have two small cabinets. However,somewhere there will be a section that wasn't finished where the pieces all go together.
    upload_2020-8-28_9-5-55.png

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    johnnycb09 likes this.
  17. Adrian Lewis

Adrian Lewis Journeyman

Taken on board and interesting thank you, my learn for the day. However, in my defence, I was quoting the Empire Period, of which this heavy scroll design is typical and which I now know to be Classical/Late Classical style.

18. James Conrad

Yeah does, in first photo, you can see a gap on right side upper portion where daylight shines thru.

19. James Conrad

Could very well be early 20th, this late classical style was popular for 50+ years in USA, VERY popular in its day, A LOT of it still around.
    I am going with Cluttered & Brad, if buying for personal use, $100 or so is fine, if buying for resale, NO.
    Late Classical is a tough sell in perfect condition which is in abundant supply, in this case the piece needs work so there that is.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  20. James Conrad

Interestingly enough, Brunk in Asheville NC is having a single owner estate sale in a couple of weeks by a noted collector who was into American Empire as well as early Classical furniture.
    As previously noted, American Empire was hideously expensive back in the day and it is now very rare as well as STILL hideously expensive. This is what american collectors are looking for when one says "empire".
    https://brunkauctions.com/auction/s...r-newnan-georgia-september-12-2020-12604/lots

A few notable pieces from this rather small collection

Attributed Duncan Phyfe, New York, 1815 Est 40-60k

Duncan Phyfe.jpg

Attributed Anthony Quervelle, Philadelphia, 1829 Est. 18-25k

4027231_1(2).jpg

Attributed J & JW Meeks, New York, 1830 Est. 15-25k

4027113_1(1).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted