Featured Mahogany Poster Bedroom Set Price/sell Help needed

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Tim J, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Tim J

Tim J New Member

Hello..

I just joined Antiquers to get assistance selling my bedroom set. It was purchased used by my family in 1970. We lived in the Pittsburgh area. I now live in Northern Virginia and it is part of the DC metro area. There is a LOT of money here. Perhaps I am way out of line with the price, I don't know. I will post a Craigslist link that has all of the pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/fuo/d/reston-mahogany-poster-bed-set/6787504585.html

Thanks in advance;
    Tim J

cxgirl, Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

To me it looks like a 1940s set. Its in lovely shape,but your price is ...ambitious.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice quality but just used furniture at this point and not in fashion. Agree that the price is overly ambitious, even in the DC area. Just 3 pieces? Here in my Midwest location, even a grand would be overly ambitious.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. Tim J

Tim J New Member

Thank you for the advice. I would have thought that selling my antique set would give me enough money to purchase some new furniture. I thought wrong. :)
    I sometimes find that what I have that I believe is valuable, is not.
    Likewise, the opposite.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You might want to add in to your CL listing (UNLESS I missed it!) the SIZE of the bed....sometimes Double and Queen can be hard to distinguish especially in images! But then possibly not that many queen size beds many years ago either! Just a thought..............:rolleyes:

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

were that it was an antique......but it's not.

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Agreed, it will become antique in 2040 :)

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but the Connersville Furniture Company (Connersville, Indiana - my paternal grandfather's home town) went into receivership in 1927 (the name having been changed from Connersville Cabinet Company in 1915.) New owners took over from receiver but only stayed afloat until the mid-30's from what I've found.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

So maybe 1930s, or even 1920s?

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

11. Figtree3

Well, yeah, but... I would guess that at least 50% of items posted on this site are less than 100 years old. It doesn't really matter. The name of the site is Antiquers but it could just as well have been called "Old Stuff" or something like that.

12. Figtree3

And, welcome @Tim J ! My previous comment was just to let you, as a new member, know that it's fine to post older items that don't fit the common definition of "antique" which is that the item should be 100 years old or more.

13. Tim J

Tim J New Member

Thanks for the information Marie, much appreciated. I have been told in the past that the set was built "Pre-Depression," but I had no way to confirm. I plan to downsize as I get closer to retirement, and the set is just too big for what is mostly modest sized bedrooms found in the area. Being that I have been sleeping in the bed for 45 Years, I guess another 45 is not out of the question. A bit ambitious perhaps, but I am optimistic by nature.

14. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Sadly, the market for "brown furniture" is still pretty much in the basement, though there are dim rumblings about a resurgance.

Agree on the 1930s-40s date. This furniture looks like its built like a tank. I once owned a similar set here in the U.S. midwest, and ended up giving it away to someone who could really use it. The seller's market was - and continues to be - nil.

I know it would be nice to sell it, but you'll never get a fraction of the quality with new furniture that you've got with this set now.

James Conrad, Figtree3 and gregsglass like this.
  15. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

LOL, yeah, is!
    Yeah, i would guess closer to 90%-95% on furniture

Agrees with others, it's gonna be tough to get anywhere close to your 4k figure, even in DC, my hometown. Yes, many there do have money but the problem is, unless in fashion which these pieces are not at the moment, that money will stay in their pocket.

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

My suggestion is that you wait until you retire to make a decision about your beautiful bedroom set. I have a old mahogany spool bed from one of the Grand Rapids furniture makers that originally had three pieces. I only purchased two pieces so the set would not overwhelm my bedroom. I used the headboard and footboard and put a modern mattress in between to make it a queen. If you're tired of it, you can change it up with some decorative additions. I agree with Ghopper you won't get anything today that is nearly as well made.

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted