Featured Maija Carlson, Oy Kumela Pulled Feather Vase - Mislabeled

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Jan 21, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This small (5 inch) pulled feather vase was labelled Maria Carlson at the resale shop. I fell in love immediately, so I brought it home. I spent three days trying to figure out what the name really was, as there were no Maria Carlsons amongst the glass artists, and this had to be someone with great skill. I took various photos of the signature, put them through endless filters, flipped them, changed the intensity, spread nutmeg into their crevices and got nowhere. I was just about to ask you all for help with the signature, when I decided to do one last search on the name Carlson (which was the only recognizable name) and up popped this vase by Scandinavian Oy Kumela art glass artist Maija Carlson:

[​IMG]

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/maija-carlson-oy-kumela-pulled-131562670

I think mine is prettier!

IMG_5154 (1).JPG IMG_5155 (1).JPG IMG_5156 (1).JPG IMG_5151.JPG IMG_5175.JPG IMG_5176.JPG IMG_5177.JPG

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    patd8643, KSW, Aquitaine and 11 others like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks for showing it, that's a beauty!

KSW, kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and 3 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I thought everybody would like the story too.

4. PortableTreasures

PortableTreasures Active Member

Oh what a beautiful piece! And a lovely display of tenacity in your searching!

5. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. The process of finding out about something is so much fun. I want to do the best job in showing a piece to the members, so I do as much research as I can before I place it on the site. :):):):)

KSW, Aquitaine, janettekay and 3 others like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NICE job doing the "hunt"!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):singing: AND a beautiful vase, to boot!!

antidiem, KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I think it's a matter of luck sometimes. Google presents you with only a tiny fraction of the whole. I kept getting William and Kurt and Lydia Carlson images until this last time.

antidiem, KSW and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted