Featured Majolica jardiniere pedestal

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marzena, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Marzena

Marzena Well-Known Member

Hello Good People again,

I've just bought this majolica pedestal, and I am curious how much common it has with this Thomas Forester jardiniere stand from 1912. Comparing images, there are few differences between them, it may be this same manufacture? There is no any Mark's or stamps on it.
    This is my stand
    20190615_131423_resize_73.jpg 20190615_131429_resize_76.jpg
    And here is image from this site: http://thomasforester.com/pottery-1877-1893/
    Jardinaire-stand05_resize_66.jpg

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I found this very similar one (or same) on Pinterest, says it sold for $385 on eBay. No info except for European, likely English.
    A2F147C0-342F-4FE0-B5E3-2E9C171D32DC.jpeg

3. Marzena

I've bought mine for much, much, much better price ( I mean lower) anyway -), but it looks more than similar indeed )

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I absolutely love your pedestal!!!!!
    greg

kyratango, Marzena and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bottom photo please.

kyratango and Marzena like this.
  6. Marzena

Here it is :)
    20190616_065644_resize_44.jpg

pearlsnblume, judy and kyratango like this.
  7. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

VERY nice piece !!!

judy, Marzena and kyratango like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Not English, imo. Probably German.

judy, Marzena and kyratango like this.
  9. Marzena

This is interesting. Would you write me, what indicates that this may be German? How to recognize it?

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  10. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I'm with Owned. Continental, most likely Austria or Germany.

11. Marzena

How do you recognize it, especially, when the pattern and form is so similar to this british one above? How I, as a layman, may recognise, from where it may be: comparing the bottoms, or colours? I have no idea how do you see differences :bored: :-|

kyratango, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  12. Marzena

Do I think in a good direction, that this is about the difference between faience and majolica, about the way of glazing? Or this is a blind alley?

kyratango and judy like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

8 feet....as opposed to 3 ...maybe ???

14. Marzena

Screenshot_20190617-072437_Opera.jpg The shape of the bottom would be the something, although I've seen so much british pedestals with so much different bottoms, that I am not certain if it is about it, look at this image above, there are also three feet, and this is a very british pottery. But maybe there is some rule, I have no idea ..

15. Ownedbybear

The feet, shape of them and general look. Clay colour and that brown smudgy look to the glaze. And sort of having seen so many. ;)

kyratango, judy and Marzena like this.
  16. Marzena

I still have a lot of doubts, I've bought it nearby London and knowing how much of majolica manufactures were in England, it is more possible that it may be from here. And I didn't see too much german majolika stands or jardinieres in similar design, but have seen lots of English ones with this kind of ornament. I will have to find more about, because it will bothering me pretty much -)

17. Marzena

I've found Julius Dressler stands, but they are much more ornate than mine., although the shape of the base is similar. Now, I've just started realised, that "similar" is a devilish word -). Holly hell, this is nightmarish:-|

18. Marzena

And capital is also more similar than these british. Oook, I will learn again lots of. That's why I fond of this forum. Thank you so much ♡!

kyratango, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

I had a Gerbring and Stephan candlestick with a similar base, but I can't find the blasted photo!

kyratango, judy and Marzena like this.
  20. Marzena

Thank you, I will try to find this stand there, who knows! And if you find your image, please, please share it, it must be beautiful, and I will be grateful! By the way, the longer I am in antiguities the less certain I am and I'm getting more often lost ).

kyratango, Houseful and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted