Majolica Maker's Mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by VeryAppreciative, May 6, 2020.

1. VeryAppreciative

VeryAppreciative New Member

I am genuinely sorry for being 'one of those people' who only make an account to get help on identifying their family member's belongings. I do not think this piece of majolica is very special - but the 'stamp' is very blurry and I can't make out it, almost definitely in a foreign language, - I am wondering if anyone can help me identify the maker, as my username suggests, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

i need help likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi and welcome!

It looks like the bottom right word is Czechoslovakia. Do you have a picture of the whole item?

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That generally helps a lot to see the item.

Welcome to the board.
    We'd be happy to help you ID items.

i need help likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Whole thing please. That's the french spelling.

i need help likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think I might have found it.

http://www.bihl.nl/BIHL_backstamps.htm

[​IMG]
    Celebrate was an importer’s mark by the Borgfeldt Company of New York, New York (USA). George Borgfeldt was born in 1833 in Meldorf (Germany). In 1855 he immigrated to Nashville where he started a trading business company in 1861. In 1881 he moved to New York where he started the George Borgfeldt & Co trading company. Borgfeldt imported pottery from several Bohemian and Czechoslovakian pottery factories, including the former BIHL Company.

[​IMG] upload_2020-5-6_10-51-14.png

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

How do you do that! ;)

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

No need to apologize! Finding information about family members' belongings is one of the main types of posts that happen here. And without "those people" this forum site would be just a bunch of regular users talking among ourselves -- much of the time off topic! We do like when original posters come back to acknowledge that they have seen the replies, too.

Welcome to Antiquers, @VeryAppreciative !

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, VeryAppreciative!

i need help likes this.
  9. VeryAppreciative

VeryAppreciative New Member

@say_it_slowly Thank you so much, I think you nailed it on the head. I genuinely appreciate everyone else's welcomes and help.... you could say that I am Very Appreciative.

Draft saved Draft deleted