Majolica mystery object

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by PJL1234, Mar 28, 2020.

1. PJL1234

PJL1234 New Member

I inherited this from my parents but have not managed to find out what it is or how old it is. I also inherited some 16th century abarello but not sure if this also came from my grandfather who was an avid antique collector.

It looks like a candlestick but has a small bowl at the top and two spouts, one for-left handed and one right-handed use.

Anyone able to help with the mystery object? Majolica-1.jpg majolica-2.jpg

2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Looks like it is meant to pour two glasses at the same time. The Xspurts will need to know how big it is.:bag:

judy likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's an oil lamp I believe.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. PJL1234

PJL1234 New Member

Very impressed, that was quick! Identified as an oil lamp and as it's majolica I assume it probably came from the Mediterranean?

kyratango likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Lets have a look at the albarello - I LOVE them!

7. PJL1234

PJL1234 New Member

There are a couple more somewhere.

Attached Files:

kentworld likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nice, but there ain't no 16th c Albarelli in that pic, 18thc I could go along with ...

kyratango likes this.
  9. PJL1234

PJL1234 New Member

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Ok, maybe I did rush to judgement - :shame::shy::sorry: - the ones I've owned were much more colorful ..carry on!

11. PJL1234

PJL1234 New Member

I just inherited them - was just lucky to find the exact same on a reputable site on the internet. Apothecary items were functional rather than decorative and would have sat in rows on shelves in grand estate houses. Not sure about the wet jars, they maybe later. Dating antiques is very difficult and I have noticed over the years that furniture that used to be 'Victorian' is now 'Late Georgian'.

Draft saved Draft deleted