majolica pots of some sort any idea on age or maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Sep 18, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

these came up at auction the other day is there any way to tell their origination?

4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 1.jpg 8.jpg 7.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I found these which are really interesting Pair of Maiolica apothecary wet drug jars, 18th century, to include: "Oxymel Sacc", (chip to rim, chip to foot); and "Syr Ros Sol Aur", (glaze gaps, wear from use). Taller 8-3/4"h. 138030.jpg
    http://www.southbayauctions.com/Sale359/138030.jpg

3. laura9797

4. laura9797

NOTE to self: don't post until your first cup of coffee! Obviously my link is likely the auction he was referring to! And here I thought I was doing some great sleuthing!

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Mediterranean - Italian, Spanish, possibly Portuguese. Tough to say which without further searching. Maybe one of our clever researchers can ID location from the city from the center image.

sunday silence and laura9797 like this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

7. sunday silence

yes Laura, those are from that auction.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Just a warning, apothecary jars were copied and faked from the late 19th century onward.
    Antique Spanish majolica was faked from the 1960s, maybe earlier.

But, fake or not, these are beautiful.

sunday silence and Bakersgma like this.
  9. sunday silence

its weird someone would put a date on them. "1746" is that what it says? and what do we know about that font?

Draft saved Draft deleted