Featured Maker of pearl & garnet necklace?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by tyeldom3, Feb 25, 2017.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Hoping to identify the maker of this pearl & garnet necklace. Any ideas? Looks sort of like a large strange "A" with a swirl or something in it. Thanks for your time. :)
    Also, what do you call the setting of the stones? I've never seen backs quite like these. I thought the gold was fake at first, but it does test for 14K. p1.jpg p2.jpg p3.jpg p4.jpg p5.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like that one. Very elegant.

zzzzzzza.jpg

KingofThings and tyeldom3 like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think it may be a "marriage". I do not think the garnets and the clasp belong to the pearls. I love the garnets and the clasp.
    greg

tyeldom3 likes this.
  4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I love it!

KingofThings and tyeldom3 like this.
  5. tyeldom3

Thanks so much moreotherstuff! And a double thanks for the cropping of the photo!:)

KingofThings likes this.
  6. tyeldom3

I thought that too at first, but it does seem to have matching attachments at clasp ends and where pearls attach to garnets, but really I don't know? I'm leaning towards, not a marriage....but again I'm not sure. Thanks Greg:):)
    Thanks Marko, I like it too.
    I forgot to upload the picture of the whole thing.
    p.jpg

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Tye,
    It is those black connections that just do not sit right with me. Even the full length photo is beautiful but it just does not sit right to me.
    greg

8. tyeldom3

I see what you mean Greg. Thanks for your help.:):)

KingofThings likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it does look like a pearl necklace was spliced open for the stones.
    the clasp.....mom has that one on her pearls too...but the black wrapped ends are also at the clasp.....so maybe i'm wrong about it....

Any Jewelry and tyeldom3 like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've seen that setting on Indian and Middle Eastern jewellery.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The gold and garnet part does look Indian, the colour of the garnets is certainly an Indian favourite, lighter and warmer than for instance Bohemian garnets.
    I love the necklace, but I agree, it looks like a marriage.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  12. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The gold is also a typically Indian colour. I think someone had an Indian wedding necklace and for some reason, used part of it. Or it was a bracelet. The clasp isn't Indian - that came with the pearls.

14. tyeldom3

Wow thanks Komokwa, Bear, Any Jewelry & King for all the replies! You all are the best, and soooo very helpful. I didn't realize there were different types of garnets, I will look into that.
    I did some looking around and I do see these type of wired connectors on some strands of pearls. This one caught my eye too as there are that type of connectors on both ends. I wonder if they start to darken over a period of time from age and/or use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Designer-ST...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That's ok if they are a marriage, I still think its a lovely marriage.;):) Just wondering how to word the listing if indeed they are a marriage?

15. KingofThings

Without knowing what might be 'proper' for jewelry nomenclature, and that you are not certain, I'd simply say that it may be a beautiful combination of a few different pieces.
    Maybe 'striking' would be a good word choice.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Lucille.b, Aquitaine and tyeldom3 like this.
  16. tyeldom3

Sounds wonderful King, thank you!

Update, I tried a gentle polishing cloth on the dark wired parts and they started to brighten up to gold again. Then I tried a loop again on the garnet part of the necklace and found a mark there which I had missed before. I think it reads: ATL 14K, which I did a real quick search and it might be Atlantic Jewelry Co., but again not sure and will do a more thorough search momentarily. Thanks again everyone for the fabulous help.

001.jpg 002.jpg

wenna, cxgirl, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  17. KingofThings

:)

tyeldom3 likes this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Simple, elegant and VERY LOVELY!!!!! Whoever did the 'marriage' did a very nice job!!!! The contrast really sets it off!!!!!

Edit" And I haven't seen a clasp like that in AAAAGES!!!!!!!:)

19. KingofThings

The contrast is what struck me right off.

Aquitaine likes this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You can just barely see those marks on in your 1st set of photo's.....but I was hesitant to mention that because I've been chastized for being wrong on so many jewelry threads .....That I figured I'd wait for you to find them on your own....
    Sad . huh !

Still it may or may not be a marriage of two items.....but it's a great find none the less !!!!
    & with 14K all over the place.....it's making the stones look a lot finer than I previously thought !!
    Like Any Jewelry surmises , those stones may be of a higher quality than yer average .

Draft saved Draft deleted