Featured Maker of Vintage Art Glass Fish Ashtray

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lorec, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Lorec

Lorec Member

Hi! Looking for help, as I have searched everywhere. Just got this great old pair of art glass fish ashtrays and want to find out who the maker might be. They are shaped like some Blenko ashtrays, but never have seen any Blenko glass with all the gilding, hand painting, and applied adornments. Appreciate any ideas.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and wildrose like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

A692DA58-852B-4324-87A9-84236E4EACAB.jpeg Welcome to the Forum! Maybe add some more photos, check Full size for all images. :)

Figtree3, pearlsnblume, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum Lorec:)
    I don't believe yours are Blenko, maybe Italy or Czech
    here are Blenko fish from the Pina book
    DSCF6334.jpg DSCF6336.jpg

Lorec, Figtree3, pearlsnblume and 6 others like this.
  4. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

As cxgirl said, not Blenko. The decor is seen on pieces made in Italy or Czech, as well as Japan. The style of decor was introduced around the middle of the last century.

cxgirl, Lorec, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Most probably Italian, as they're fishies.

6. Lorec

Lorec Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the help. That info helps me out greatly!

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

They're lovely items, Lorec. I'm also going to vote Italian partly based on the exaggerated top lip. You don't see that on the Blenko pieces and I think it's going to be something unique to Italian design.
    Don

DEB E., i need help and judy like this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Ashtrays? I would be very annoyed if anyone flicked their ashes into the fish if they were mine. Also, how would you stub out the cigarette? Maybe they are just decorative? With just one photo, it's hard to tell. What is the size? Maybe these were meant to be vases also.

DEB E., i need help and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted