Maker's mark? Coat of arms?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by curious1, Jul 19, 2018.

1. curious1

curious1 New Member

Hello - This is an electroplated on copper crumber, I believe. Do you know the maker's mark? What coat of arms might this be, if any? I've been unable to find the answers. Also, what was the now empty slot used for - a tiny brush? Thanks for any help. IMG_1211.JPG IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1180.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

likely a family crest..

curious1 and i need help like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Looks like maker is Sheffield Silver Co of Brooklyn NY.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Thanks Bakersgma. The two rampant unicorns feature in early Scottish heraldry but I think I’m way off track, I've always found it difficult to identify family crests.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Given that the crumber was made here in the US, I think the "family crest" is a fantasy.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They made a ton of what I call mock heraldic jewelry in the 50s and 60s; this appears to be more of the same.

Bronwen and curious1 like this.
  8. curious1

curious1 New Member

Thank you to all who responded. Who knew this little piece would be so much fun!

komokwa likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

@curious1 , you could still research Scottish clan crests. Like @Houseful I think it could be a Scottish crest.
    Clan Guthrie has a raised arm with a sword, but that sword is held by the hilt.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Bronwen, curious1 and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Even if this coat of arms is real and were tracked down, it wouldn't really have anything to do with the family or area - it was used as a decorative element by Sheffield Silver, along with a rearing horse crest, and they appear on numerous pieces, have personally seen both on hundreds of their silent butlers...

~Cheryl

Bronwen, curious1 and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted