Featured Maker's mark on Dutch silver coral Amsterdamse School brooch. Help please.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, May 10, 2020.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The latest addition to my modest Amsterdam(se) School jewellery collection. A silver and Med red coral flower brooch, my guesstimate 1925-30.
    The maker's mark is HM4 with what looks like a P over the M, so possibly PHM4. I haven't been able to find the mark, so maybe @DragonflyWink , @Bakersgma , anyone else?
    The other tiny mark is an assay mark which I know, so that doesn't need to be identified. The assayer punched it so hard that it shows on the front, not unusual, but a pain.
    Btw, the green glow is from my shirt, no verdigris. (Wear white shirt next time :writer:)

Amsterdam(se) School is a Dutch Arts & Crafts / Art Deco style which was popular from ca 1910-1930.

upload_2020-5-10_15-36-17.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-10_15-36-29.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-10_15-36-43.jpeg

Thank you for looking.:)

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    anundverkaufen, wenna, KSW and 12 others like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

This is a really wild guess, might the HM be linked to Hendrik Methorst?I got looking at his pieces when trying to find something similar to yours. I know he doesn’t sign like that normally but thought yours maybe could be an early piece. A bit tenuous I know.

Lucille.b, KSW, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  3. Houseful

4. Houseful

Had another look around and here’s a brooch by Methorst from Catawiki, the way the stone looks from underneath and the mark looks like yours.
    485B14A1-5B84-4DC1-B998-DD49913F5F6D.jpeg 32C664DE-E551-4482-9B4E-9E71BC7CAC24.jpeg

KSW, DragonflyWink, patd8643 and 4 others like this.
  5. Houseful

6. Any Jewelry

Houseful, you genius, I think you nailed it!:happy: (Doing a happy dance)

Hendrik Methorst is one of the big designer names of the period. Not strictly a silversmith, which could be why I couldn't find him.
    I found another Methorst brooch with a clearer mark which is indeed like mine. Also from Botterweg Auctions, the go-to auctioneer for Amsterdamse School:

[​IMG]
    https://www.botterweg.com/Methorst_Hendrik/tabid/59/lotid/31406/Kavel-31406.aspx?language=nl-NL
    That is a classic Amsterdamse School setting, very Arts & Crafts with a 'simple' cutting out of the prongs from the main metal. Not all AS settings are like this, I also have pieces with bezel-set stones, but many are. It adds to the artisan look I like about AS jewellery.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    KSW, DragonflyWink, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Houseful

Brilliant, glad to help. I was looking at the pieces online thought there was a similarity and because I liked them so much I kept going and eventually found one that matched. The more usual signatures of his are very different to yours but his jewellery style is recognisable.

KSW, DragonflyWink, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. Houseful

Wow,INH. This is a new experience for me!!!
    AJ is someone who has often helped me:)

KSW, Any Jewelry, judy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Another addict in the making?;) It is such a nice style, and closely related to some British Arts & Crafts.
    Well-deserved.:)

KSW, judy, Houseful and 1 other person like this.
  11. Houseful

Jewellery is a slippery slope....

KSW, Any Jewelry, judy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Don't I know it.:rolleyes::hilarious:

KSW likes this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

A bit late to the party but that's a beautiful brooch.
    It's very classy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Thanks, K.:kiss: I was thinking of putting a brooch converter on the pin and wearing it as a pendant.:)

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Bakersgma and KSW like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The flower compliments and softens the hammered metal. Wear it any way you like and it will look great!.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

That prong technique is just ingenious! Love the brooch and I agree it would be really great as a pendant (I am definitely partial to pendants).

Msalicia and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

18. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I’m sure a brooch converter is just that, but I’ve never heard of it. Can it be seen when worn? I would love to see a pic. Where would I get one? Thanks. Sounds beautiful with that piece.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

There are different types and sizes, so you can get one that won't be seen. I can't remember where I got mine, I have several types and metals, but here are Etsy pages:
    https://www.etsy.com/search?q=brooch converter

i need help likes this.
  20. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Thank you. I love the idea of using my older pins. Just ordered vertical and horizontal. I think with C-clasp I feel safer with vertical. Don’t want to loose it on any wild nights out!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted