Maker's mark or hallmark?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by terry5732, Sep 20, 2017.

1. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

mm 002.JPG
    Looks like a scimitar or something over the 925, upside down bell?, stylized bird head? mm 005.JPG
    mm 001.JPG

aaroncab likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

is that the eye of Ra ???

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice garnet crystal,is it glued into the bezel?

4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Looks like Egypt to me. Can't clearly see the town mark above the fineness nor the year on the far right.
    [​IMG]

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

6. terry5732

date 001.JPG
    Best I can do of the date. The stone appears to be a Czech bead that was glued in and doesn't fit the bezel right.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Definitely Egypt and post '46, as Bakers said.
    The stone is glass, locally made. You see that a lot on traditional North African and Middle Eastern silver jewellery. Sloppy fitting stones and glass in bezels are quite usual in African and Asian ethnic jewellery. Love the styles, but as a collector you have to check everything.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just a whisker clearer and inverted with regular enhanced.....looks like there might be a "SE" or backwards "2-" above the '525'....???

zEgyptianRing.jpg

9. terry5732

I think the bit above the 925 is supposed to be a curved sword
    eg 001.JPG

10. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

@terry5732
    Did you see this from the silver forums over at 925-1000? http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23514

The mark on the right of the piece in question on that forum looks a lot like the mark you sketched in post #6. How they came to that conclusion I cannot figure out since the mark look nothing like the one for that date on the chart printed above. Still can't help you with the town mark though.

Draft saved Draft deleted