Makers marks...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by F Green, Feb 21, 2020.

1. F Green

F Green Member

So I’ve just realised makers marks (and assistants) don’t always match the examples given online or in books!

Attached Files:

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Have you been looking at Doulton marks?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. F Green

F Green Member

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Just taking @Aquitaine's excellent work and flipping it around to see the doulton stamp

X3B5E3DC8E-62B4-45F2-8C52-C23494641F97-edit.jpg

F Green and Aquitaine like this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

One of them looks like HB which might be Hannah Barlow.

Houseful, Fid and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm sure someone will know. Without being familiar with Doulton artists and going on what I see online, possibly Annie Gentle and Harry Barnard. Someone that knows more might also like to see the the whole piece to verify what they know. I may have some reference books that could help if no one comes by that knows.

https://antique-marks.com/doulton-artists-marks-b.html

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  8. F Green

F Green Member

It’s difficult for a beginner because the marks vary enormously from those in guide books and websites

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The whole piece is needed - you have to place the marks in the context of the decor. I'll fish the Wares Bible out a bit later, but that doesn't look Barlow. There's also an assistant mark which helps.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. F Green

F Green Member

Attached Files:

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted