Manning Bowman Tea Pot or Oil Can or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by rknarr2, Apr 12, 2020.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I have a manning bowman quality made in Meriden, Conn. with the number 34
    Pat. June 1?, 1906. A ? means I can not read it but my guess is a 5. I believe it is made of chrome and is missing a screw on lid. It measures about 7 1/2" from the mouth opening to the ground in height x about 9" wide from the tip of the spout to the end of the handle x 1 3/8" diameter top opening and nearly 4" diameter bottom. I would like to ask for help with what this is and does the pat. mean it was made in 1906? If not, what decade do you think this may be from? Thank you. Rob
    IMG_0194small.JPG IMG_0200small.JPG

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia - The Manning, Bowman & Co. (1849-1945) was formed in Meriden, Connecticut, and over the years produced granite iron and pearl agate ware, electro-silver and nickel-plated ware, britannia and planished goods.[2][3]

So it can't be 1956.

Figtree3 and sabre123 like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not a teapot, coffee pot maybe

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Figtree3 and sabre123 like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That looks like 1906 to me, and below is an enlargement of the Stated Teapot from the link that Flipper found....but with copper on it too....Bottom looks like it says a bit different too....

s_5de0aa4ebbf076c7bfb37950-gigapixel-scale-4x.jpg

Teapot bottom-gigapixel-scale-6x (1).jpg

7. rknarr2

I know I said Chrome in my initial post which I take ownership and responsibilty for my mistake. However, back in the day, I think nickel over copper was common thing to do. I think it makes sense nickel plated on this teapot. Thank you for the history on the company. Rob

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  8. rknarr2

As I look at this teapot, I notice a light corrosion or possibly nickel has come off the top of the copper. It might be the same as mine except mine still has the nickel over top of the copper. However, the numbers on the bottom don't match mine. That is troubling sign for my brainstorming. Rob

i need help likes this.
  9. rknarr2

Thank you for your efforts on finding this example. It will be useful information to use in my listing. I think mine might be nickel over copper being from the 1900s.
    Rob

i need help likes this.
  10. rknarr2

i need help likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

13. rknarr2

How does one determine whether mine is electro-silver or nickel plated ware? Thank you for help in this matter. Rob

14. KikoBlueEyes

Others will be better at tested ideas. I am just a researcher, not an expert. My research says:

• There is a very easy spot test for nickel. Put a drop of 1% dimethylglyoxime and a drop of 10% ammonium hydroxide on the plated surface. If it is nickel, it turns pink.
    • This reference says these marks are Manning-Bowman silver plate marks - scroll down - http://www.silvercollection.it/AMERICANSILVERPLATEMARKSMP.html

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Where would I find 1% dimethylglyoxime and 10% ammonium hydroxide?????

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ain't no teapot. Even by American standards. ;)

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Trying to do a patent search, the only ones I find for 1906 that include Manning Bowman in the search are related to coffee percolators. The patent had to do with facilitation of the percolation process. This one is the closest in date to what you are seeing at the bottom of yours. As you can tell in the diagram, the illustrated coffee pot doesn't look at all like yours.
    https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/b7/a3/d5/318621908960de/US821124.pdf

So the filler of oil lamps is a possibility, although I see other oil lamp fillers from Manning Bowman online that don't look like that. I suppose they could have made several different models.

i need help likes this.
  19. rknarr2

Thank you for taking time and effort to help with identifying this for me. I put it online as an oil lamp filler because I think it is one and I found one just like it. rknarr2

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. rknarr2

The only thing I can not figure out is whether it is nickel or silver plated?