Featured Mansard French porcelain demi cups & saucers - need help w/ age, cipher & mark please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Jul 14, 2022.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The cups are marked with an acid-etched Mansard Rue Paradis Paris mark but the saucers either have no marks or what is possibly a dragonfly. :confused::confused: It is obvious that they go together but I can't find any mention of a dragonfly mark for this company. Does anyone recognize this mark?

From what I could determine these are possibly 19th century but I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be early or late 19th century or if they are newer. I am basing my opinion on information I found online as well as the style of the pieces with the heavy gold encrusting.

I suck at reading ciphers & monograms so this is the main reason I am posting these pieces. I think this one is supposed to be ES. The family name of the family started with an S & there was a woman named Eugenia during the time period this porcelain would have been made. However, the estate these came from also was someone who bought at flea markets, antique malls, etc. & it was hard to know what was a family piece or just something he found along the way. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any good online references for styles of monograms & ciphers? :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all suggestions or opinions!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Mansard were a retailer and distributor and sold and commissioned items mostly from Limoges makers, they didn't manufacture anything themselves. So the dragonfly may be the makers mark rather than being a mark for Mansard. Looking for Limoges dragonfly marks may reveal the source.

Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree that the initials are ES, not SE. Since the S is bigger than the E, the S would stand for the surname.
    Beautiful!

bercrystal and wlwhittier like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

May be a Mayfly (éphémère in French) rather than a dragonfly.

Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Thanks, that makes sense. I will look around to see what I can find. :happy::happy: :kiss:

Thanks for confirming that for me. They are wonderful. There is some damage to a couple of the cups but if they are as old as I thought it is not surprising. :happy::happy: :kiss:

Thanks for the information. :happy::happy: :kiss:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted