Map of Ireland on Parchment John Speede 1610

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BTZ64, Mar 2, 2020.

?

Original on Parchment or Copy reproduction...??

1. From which Book or Atlas this 1610 Map comes from..??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Is it better to keep it such a way or to be restored..??

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hi to all,
    Bought on Ebay (9.13 Euros)and received today.
    This map of Ireland was advertised on Ebay France as : Reproduction de Carte Irlande sur Parchemin,John Speed 1610.
    Just put it between glass and flat board to flatten it and check.
    There is some minor pieces missing and fold traces which I try now to keep flat altogether.
    The Paper seems to me really a Parchment and I have the feeling that it is an original Map of Ireland having been part of an Atlas or a Book from this period..(1610)
    It is intiltled "The Kingdome of Irland" With two spelling mistakes...??
    The dimensions are: 50CM L by 37CM W
    Have attached some photos for you to inspect and give me "Hopefully" Good News...Would be able to take some more if requested...If yes Pls tell me which details. 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG
    I do believe that this Map can be restored properly and I am planning to do it if you think it will be better restored than as it is...
    Looking forward to your Useful advises and acknowledgements.
    JB

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have seen that depiction of Irish costumes on the left before, maybe they were reproduced from another print of this map. I will leave the rest up to the others.
    Old spelling.:)

BTZ64 likes this.
  3. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Merci a Vous.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Repro, but it might be an older one, this happened from the 19th C on.

Figtree3 and BTZ64 like this.
  5. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

OK Thanks

6. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

[​IMG]
    In bold color!

Any Jewelry and BTZ64 like this.
  7. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Thank you for your update....But mine looks as if it was folded into two as part of a book or an Atlas additional map...???? Are those colored one Originals or reprinted Copies..?? Thanks for updating me..jb

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Hand colouring was done on both originals and copies, but that one looks much more, uhm, gaudy, than any of the original hand coloured ones I have seen. It could be a souvenir map.

BTZ64 likes this.
  9. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

I have been starting to search on the web..And as well might send my photos and details to Irish Maps collector to have their comments....I think my map is belong from a Book printed on Parchement (Parchemin)as you can see the folding old traces and the size is exactly as the original one...??? Does the Book or Atlas was printed from this (1610 Period..??) That is the question..?? I include you what I found so far on The Antique Trade Blog UK.....Quite encouraging I hope so...JB 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

The folds could also come from a facsimile edition, but I couldn't really tell you whether it is 17th century or a later copy.
    Good luck!

Figtree3 and BTZ64 like this.
  11. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Big Thanks anyway.....
    PS: As You told me that you are quite often in Spain....Would you be a Bullfighting Passionate or Afficionado...?? If yes ,do you appreciate the Painting Arts of Tauromaquia...?? I have a big collection that I would like to share or sell if anybody very interested...Thanks..JB

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks to me like parchment paper rather than animal parchment. Parchment paper was introduced in 1847 (according to online sources):

"In 1847, when French scientists Jean-André Poumarède and Louis Figuier came up with a chemical treatment process for plant-based paper that kept many of the qualities of parchment.

A key element of parchment paper is its treatment. As explained in the 1874 book
    A Manual of the Chemistry of Carbon Compounds, the use of sulfuric acid played a key role in giving parchment paper its distinctive qualities.

"If unsized paper be dipped for a few seconds in a cold mixture of two volumes of concentrated sulfuric acid and one volume of water, and then washed with water and ammonia, the so-called parchment paper is obtained,”

The original map may be by Jodocus Hondius who republished Mercator's plates with additions of his own c1604. (Could be Mercator for all I know.) Those maps lack the vignettes to the left, but it appears there were lots of reprints, re-works, and variations.

I would expect a map of that period to be on laid paper.

But asking an expert is a sound idea.

13. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I agree with MOS. I have a few 17th century maps, and they are all on laid paper. Vellum might be possible for older books, but was not being used by the 17th century as far as I know (you can check with book collectors). When I evaluate a possibly early map the first thing I check for is laid paper - if it isn't then I reject it. Hold yours up to the light - it doesn't look like laid paper based on your picture but only you can see it up close. Note that isn't a sufficient test since even if it is on laid paper it may be a reproduction - laid paper is still available and I have a modern reprint of an antique map on modern laid paper which has decorative value only (though other modern copies of it are available on ebay for hundreds of dollars being sold by sellers who either don't know or don't care).

Next you need to look at your map in detail by comparing it to a known antique map. This is a lot easier with the internet. As for your particular map, it was published in a few different book editions in the 17th century, so it is possible that some other edition is different, but the one in this link from 1676 shows that there is writing on the back, which yours does not have. Plus paper looks quite different and there are other important differences (totally different water and margins and location of fold for example). All in all I really doubt it is old. And I doubt you would find an old one on ebay for $10 - if it seemed real then most likely other bidders would have competed against you. Anyway, by all means take it to someone who knows old maps and let them look at it up close, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~285338~90058011:Kingdome-of-Irland-

p.s. If you look on abebooks you'll find a number of his maps described as "Old Map of .. 1610. An Antiqued Parchment Replica", and selling for ten dollars or so. This is undoubtedly what you purchased.
    https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/author/john-speede/

14. I have reviewed a few old maps. I'm not an expert but here are a few things I have learned. It was likely etched on a plate which leaves some evidence behind. Look at the map under a 30x jewelers loupe. You should see clear distinct lines. If you see dots then it is a repro. There may be a very light impression just past the edge of the map from the plate when it was pressed upon the paper. Also, look at the map up-close and from the side. Original pressed etched maps usually have a 3-D quality and you may see slightly raised areas from the ink applied during the press.

BTZ64 likes this.
  15. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Big Thanks to you for me to learn again...If you want I can take few shots from the back side of this map to confirm it is a later copy...?? Merci again for this acknowledgement...JB

16. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Big Thanks to You as well for all those information.I am going to check as per your advises and listing if I discover something interesting or not.As mentioned to MOS ,I could take some new pictures to examine that the Paper and the Printing process is not genuine.....?? It is true I bought it for 9,13 Euros with an other one from London (Before the Fire..) So won't be a big loss...And could looks good framed...But will inform you asa I get some response from Book Collector if they reply to me...Once again Big Merci for this lesson of Printing History..JB

17. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Very interesting...And thanks for me to learn more...jb

18. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

I do think you are all right in your expertises...I will inform you when I received some other results....But I did took those photos just 5 mnts ago...Lucky there was some sun outside...And I find very bizare about the texture of this Paper or whatever it is..??? It does look originally like "Papier Gaufre we say in french...I think Embossed Paper in english....So How to print clear on such type of paper..?? As well there are many brownish stains all over if you look with sunlight behind...Was checking as well the printing inky details...Thick letters looks fat but the rest light.... Well...Think it deserves some restoration...Even as later copy...Nicely framed...Won't sell it less than 9.13 Euros for sure..Once again Thanks for sharing your research with me..JB 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Held up to light, laid paper looks like this:
    z - laid paper - b.jpg

It is the horizontal and vertical lines that show it to be laid paper. The cross pattern that you see there is called a watermark. There are a great many different watermarks, though certainly not every piece of paper shows them. Sometimes they can be used to identify who manufactured the paper. (The veining you see near the bottom is the engraved image on the other side showing through in the light.)

Houseful likes this.
  20. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Whaoou...!!! Once again very interesting...And Big thanks for your time....JB

Draft saved Draft deleted