Map of Madison

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Makanudo, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

Helo everyone,

Can anybody suggest from which period the map is and wether it is a zoning map or some other purpose map.
    The size is 12x16 inches.

Thanks and Regards

IMG_20181114_072045_1.jpg IMG_20181114_072056.jpg IMG_20181114_072104.jpg

i need help likes this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what's in the center of the zones ? dangerzones ?
    is there a physics institute with uranium on the university campus ? where possibly a young Einstein might tinker around a reactor ?

3. Makanudo

I don't get it, but thanks.

4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

How about zones for voting?

Makanudo and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Makanudo

Here in Europe, red numbers on B&W maps mean usually - military use

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

here in Europe we call those circles around a centerpoint zones. they have a certain radius, here they increase by a quarter mile and the enclosed area becomes bigger.
    when you look in google maps you'll see that the center point lies on the university campus.
    so, it could be for the signal strentgh of an antenna for mobile phones or a campus radio station.
    or it could be showing the different danger zones when a nuclear or chemical incident happens in the center of the circle to help police where to intervene first.

Makanudo and bobsyouruncle like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Your map is going to be fairly new. 1960s give or take, I'd think. (I'm basing that on the font.)

Debora

Bakersgma and Makanudo like this.
  8. Makanudo

Thanks Fid!
    I thought you were in the US

Fid likes this.
  9. Makanudo

Thanks Debora!
    Iguess it could be determined using comparation of the town covered compared to the later periods.

i need help likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a city map that came with a local directory (folded into the book.) Each numbered section corresponded to a list of residents and businesses in the directory. 60's sounds good to me.

Makanudo and i need help like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what it looks like to me too - vintage 60s Chambers of Commerce map. Those zones might well correspond to voting districts too, but maps like this were often handed out by cities and towns at the town hall or in some sort of directory.

Makanudo and Bakersgma like this.
  12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

My partner, born and raised in Madison, says it is definitely earlier than the 60's. Possibly as early as the 20's, but more likely just around WWII. This is based on the extent of development. It is not a complete map of Madison - it leaves off the whole east side. And it is centered on the University, so probably a University related map. It may have to do with housing allotments/availability/distance. He may know more later - too busy at the moment.

13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My next door neighbor was born and raised there. His parents still live there. But it's way too early to run over to ask him, so your partner's input is much appreciated, 2many!

Makanudo, i need help and 2manybooks like this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

At one point 219 Clifford Ct. was Faculty Housing, but I can’t find Mrs. Olson.

Makanudo likes this.
  15. Makanudo

What i find interesting is that there were so many golf courses at the time.
    Thanks everybody for your interest, effort and help on this subject.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted