Featured Marble Buddha in Wooden Gilt Buddhist Home Temple(Late 19th C) - Burma

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN, May 13, 2018.

1. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN Contemporary Visual Artist, Female

One of my favorite from my dad's collection.
    Managed to find information on the decorated wooden temple. Would like to know more about the Buddha figure itself.

I can't read Thai :(

Any info will be appreciated!

Marble Buddha
    Height: 9 inches
    Length: 7 inches
    Width: 4 inches
    weight: 3 - 4kg

Wooden Gilt temple
    Height: 26.5 inches
    length: 18 inches
    width: 12.5 inches

IMG_4609 copy.jpg IMG_7348 copy.jpg IMG_4492 copy.jpg IMG_3011 copy.jpg IMG_3817 copy.jpg IMG_6555 copy.jpg IMG_8409 copy.jpg IMG_3517 copy.jpg IMG_3013 copy.jpg IMG_5801 copy.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Both the Buddha and the shrine are stunning. But it is a marriage, just like the Buddha and the crown.
    The shrine is Thai, as you already know. It would have held a slightly larger Buddha. My guess 19th century.
    The Buddha is from Burma/Myanmar and made of alabaster, a softer material than marble. The position of the right hand is to call the earth to bear witness that he has just reached enlightenment.
    Alabaster was often used for Burmese Buddhas. The Burmese ones always have these charming, almost childlike features, often with a bit of a silly grin. After all, they have just conquered evil, time to feel a bit smug. Thai Buddha's take themselves more seriously.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he was 18th century. He was revered for a long time, the writing is from a much later date. I don't think we have a Burmese translator on the forum.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  3. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Oooh, thank you, AJ! I have heard of this alabaster material.. how could you tell the difference between that and marble?

Yes, I have a number of Thai Buddha and they all seem stern. Base on your expertise, should I give this a go to an auction house?

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Here is the easiest way to tell alabaster from marble. On the bottom make a small FRESH scratch. Put a drop of white vinegar on the scratch. Look closely if it bubbles it is marble if it does not fizz or bubble it is alabaster. The reason why is marble is calcium carbonate. Alabaster is calcium sulfate.
    greg

5. Any Jewelry

I've been thinking about the shrine, it could be Burmese as well. The Buddha, the throne and the crown with side wings certainly are Burmese, no doubt.
    The shrine is one of those stylistic question marks to me, Burmese or Thai. But a marriage.

Although Greg is right about the test, please don't try it on the Buddha.
    Maybe this wil help:
    http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-alabaster-and-marble/
    Yes, it should do well. Go to a reputable auctioneer, who also has international contacts. This is a piece of international interest.
    Ask around, and ask different auction houses for estimates. Study the terms of an auction house very carefully, and decide if you are ok with fees, percentages, the small print, and the reserve price. Take your time to decide, if there is something you are not happy with, don't do it.

6. gregsglass

Hi AJ,
    I learned the test from the MET museum in Manhattan. They use it routinely. If you use a drop and wipe it away there is no way for the piece to be marred by the test. Is there a reason why the test should NOT be used on the Buddha? If the test is dangerous please let me know. I have been using it for over 50 years on pieces.
    greg

7. Any Jewelry

Hi Greg,
    I have no problem with the vinegar, but I do with the scratch, in this particular case.
    This little Buddha looks alabaster and the style is consistent with the classic Burmese alabaster Buddhas. Burmese marble Buddhas are made from pure white marble with grey streaks and spots. They look shiny, like polished marble. This little one should be kept as it is, imho.

8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's too bad that most of the gold leaf that covered the statue is missing.

9. gregsglass

Hi AJ,
    How do you define a tiny scratch,:oops:. We were told to make a fresh one since handling the piece, the oil from hands might have caused an old scratch to test negative. I should have been more specific and more sensitive. I do apologize.
    greg

10. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Yashini,
    I agree with Any Jewellery, its Burmese and I think it is probably later 19th Century. Its always hard to tell because the alabaster Buddhas are beautifully reproduced in Myanmar and aged accordingly, however the staining and dust across the folded legs suggest good age. If you look closely at the hands, they are carved quite simply even a bit roughly. I'm not sure the image is of a really high quality, and you can see some faults in the alabaster across the middle of the back. But it is quite beautiful. Your shrine is absolutely gorgeous too. Stunning. The lacquer work is also probably Burmese, they are particularly skilled at this for temple items, but I can also see why it looks a little Thai. Not sure about the headers, it looks quite Thai, but cultural influence flowed across the Thai/Burma/Lao/Cambodia borders for centuries.
    My Thai partner says the writing on the base is neither Thai nor Burmese, but a combination that is strongly Khmer influenced, which fits with this being from the mountain areas of Burma. The message is a 'charm' and uses the word prosperity, but the overall message is hard to translate. It is much more recent than the statue and shrine.
    This Buddha was never covered in gold. Most Buddhas in Thailand/Burma aren't, but you can see a nice trace of gold leaf that has been applied across his chest. Gold leaf is still sold in most temples in Thailand and Burma in small squares and applied as an offering. There is a real trick to applying the gold which takes time to develop. I have seen several images in Burma that are centuries old literally sold with gold leaf covering. This adds value to your item.
    Its an absolutely gorgeous find and a credit to your fathers collecting skills.

11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder if people actually look at the photos .... The front half of the statue is covered with remnants of gold leaf above the hair line,forehead,neck,armpit,elbow,wrist,below the center of crossed legs,front of base and the underside of the base.

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, these are beautiful! Welcome to the forum Yashini:)

13. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Hollyblue,
    I respectfully disagree with your assessment and I repeat, I do not believe this image was ever “covered”in gold. Perhaps we see the photographs differently. There are traces of gold in the areas you mentioned, but some would have been applied by brush, outlining details of the image. For example, the creases in the arms/jacket would have simulated the folds in the fabric. Likewise, around the neck and the ears, the painted gilt is designed to bring a human touch to the Buddha. The hair has had gold applied, probably by brush, but might have also had leaf applied later (although the top of the head is regarded as the most holy place on the body and is unlikely to have been touched).
    The gold leaf on the base matches the shape of the gold leaf patches I mentioned and was probably applied at the time the charm or devotion was written at a later stage The gold would be there to seal the request or prayer.
    The gold traces on the front of the base are in a 5 then 4 then 3 pyramid shape representing a stupa or temple spire, also very common in Thailand and Burma. Enlarging that area of the image I just do not see further traces of gilt. I have perhaps a dozen gilt, carved, alabaster, timber type images in my collection and have been visiting this area of Asia for more then 20 years. I would love to add this one to my collection, it’s so amazing. :) I’m also very happy to learn more about this image and others that come along, and the gilt process. Thanks all.

14. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

THANK YOU ALL! this is a lot of information to take in but it's so amazing to learn so much at the same time.

I will try to get more information on this, I am very grateful with all the given information above. It makes me want to buy this from my dad and keep it for myself. :playful:

I'll probably contact Sotheby's, Christie's and Bonham and see the response. I did try searching for past auction results but to no avail. I will keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Speaking of which I have this HUGE 1.3m high Buddha statue which is painted gold and covered with gold leaves. Will upload shortly, it never caught my attention until you guys mentioned it. THANK YOU all once again! @Any Jewelry @gregsglass @Hollyblue @AuDragon @cxgirl.

AuDragon and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I agree with @AuDragon on the gilding. This was never covered in gold, only details, and the dots he mentioned. These alabaster Buddhas rarely had more gold.
    The remains of the gold leaf square are the result of a devotional act, as AuD described. I still have some Thai gold leaf squares for the same purpose.
    I don't mind the loss of gilding at all, it is testimony to his age. He is gorgeous as he is.

16. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thanks AJ! @Any Jewelry Bonham's auction got back to me saying 'they don't have a suitable sale for this item'.

I guess I will have to try others then! Any to recommend? I have contacted Sotheby's and awaiting their reply. Christie's will be next.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

18. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thank you AJ! Most helpful, I went over to check that side, they have beautiful item but why are some of them priced so low? Am I missing out on something here? I don't quite follow.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lots of auctions start at the low end of an estimate...to drive bids !

20. Any Jewelry

Exactly, some people like the "hunt" feeling. That is why it is important to establish a reserve price for valuable pieces. It won't be sold if the bidding stays below the reserve price, and will be put in the next auction. It can take a few auction rounds before it is sold.

Draft saved Draft deleted