Marble Convertible & Harry Ostergaard Chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Tim87tr, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Tim87tr

Tim87tr New Member

Hi, glad I found this forum. Fairly new to antiques last few years but have bought some good mid-century items. I know some basics about the chairs such as designer or company, but online research has not provided much on dating or value.

Here is a B.L. Marble walnut chair with a metal tag labeled as "the convertible", possibly from the "health line"

Harry Ostergaard, typical X frame but not the flared back rest

Thanks for any help

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, most of us here are not well versed in MCM design. Might take awhile for someone to come along that is. In the meantime, I tried to do some searching on your second chair and came up blank.

Jeff Drum likes this.
  3. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

You should always include more than one picture, especially one of any marks or labels. If you want help you need to include for us anything you can see, otherwise we are at a complete disadvantage.

You say there is a mark on the B.L.Marble chair, probably can't add much except the style is a bit earlier than what is commonly called mid-century. Here is a link that says perforated back is a Health Line from the 20s or 30s; you can ask and get exact dating help from them: https://ourpastimes.com/date-bl-marble-chair-10024976.html

The second chair is certainly mid century teak, probably Danish. But critical question is it marked - Ostergaard chairs should be. If it is marked, show the markings and show what the seat looks like - we can't guess. There was a lot of "borrowing" of designs in Scandinavia so if it is not marked it could well be by another company and you'll need to find an exact match to confirm who made it.

Draft saved Draft deleted