Featured Marbles help please!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by LucyLocket, Dec 24, 2022.

1. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

I have just acquired a glass jar full of old marbles - I just wanted the jar but the marbles came as part of the package!
    Some of the marbles look like they may be quite old but I know absolutely nothing about them - having trawled the Internet my head is now whirling with swirls, onionskins, clambroths, alleys & aggies!
    Then I had the thought that there would almost certainly be someone on this board who knows about marbles. If anyone could cast an eye over my photos and give me any info as to age or if they are even worth keeping I would be most grateful. If they are just boring ordinary old marbles then they will go back to the charity shop they came from - I have gained a lovely jar so no loss to me!
    I have only taken photos of a sample - there are lots more. They are not all perfect but I expect they were much played with. 20221224_145620.jpg 20221224_145226.jpg 20221224_145403.jpg 20221224_145725.jpg 20221224_145316.jpg

bercrystal, judy, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Can You show us a pic of the jar ? You should be able to find an online Antique Marble Forum just like this one only very specifically focused on marbles.Share yr pics w/ the marble nerds.

3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have several good books on marbles. Believe it or not it takes some doing to identify them. I do not see anything worth . It looks like you have one small agate in the third pic. I don't know about the ones in Pic 2. They are not in my books. I agree try posting them on a facebook marble site since you already have the pics.

judy, Aquitaine, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

bercrystal, judy, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Great link. I am always digging up marbles when I till my soil. I have been curious, but none seem anything special. Sometime when I pull them out, now I can see what they are.

Born2it, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Those pictures are all modern machine made. Likely from Mexico

7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Some of those marbles on Alan's site are gorgeous.

8. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

1st image. 'Porcelains'. Late 70s, early 80s.
    4th. 'Oil marbles'. 80s
    5th. 90s.

Marbles ages?
    Thinking ... my grandpa played with clay marbles, and if i'm right my dad as kid to. Not glass. Plain simple 'fragile' clay.
    So my question. Glass marbles can never be antique, or am i wrong? (50s+? 60s+?)

PS: anyone interested in clay marbles? Must have a handfull somewhere floating around.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    judy likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

If you go and browse around Marble Alan's site you'll find glass marbles from the 19th C. if that's what you're asking.

KSW, judy, KikoBlueEyes and 1 other person like this.
  10. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Yep, that was what i was asking. But it wasn't that big a question to me to read all the informatiom of the given links.
    Will dig into this later. Your answer intriged my interest.

Are those old glass ones not highly scarce and exclusive then? As all 'normal' kids had the cheap clay marbles.
    https://www.etsy.com/nl/listing/1253957807/franse-antieke-klei-knikkers-billes-en

BTW, i hereby see my clay marbles are hardly the efford.
    Yet have a big box full off glass ones i'm going to dig in again with this info :happy:
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that The "dime stores" used to sell bags of clay that you mixed with water to make your own marbles. That would have been for the poor people. They are not worth anything. Even the glazed ones have fallen in value. I collect the PeeWees. I have probably two gallons of marbles i need to go through still. Even with a good book it can be confusing. Some of them belonged to my uncle who died in his 90's almost ten years ago so they are close to antique and the others are my husbands who was the marble champ of the neighborhood back when you got to keep the marbles you knocked out. All of the boys were playing with their father's marbles it would seem based on the age of his winnings.

KSW, Woutinc, judy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Great site.

KSW, Woutinc and say_it_slowly like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

There is a very knowledgeable marble Facebook page but they only like you to post a few at a time.
    59872F9A-E437-4694-9556-7C52A12A0810.jpeg

BoudiccaJones and Woutinc like this.
  14. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have looked at all the sites that you suggested - particularly liked Marble Alan. There are beautiful marbles out there, some really are works of art! Sadly none of mine fall into that category though I must say I love the iridescent ones so may keep them and pile them in a glass dish to display. I may put the rest on ebay as a lot and see what happens - if they don't sell they will go back to the charity shop!
    Thanks again.

15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The old American marble making machines have been sold to mexico and the orient. They are getting the glass formulas similar to what used to be produced here.

Draft saved Draft deleted