Marine Etching Napoleonic Wars(?) British w/ Captured French Ships

Discussion in 'Art' started by moreotherstuff, Jan 31, 2015.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Any thoughts on this print? I think the print itself dates to the late 19th or early 20th C, but the subject matter may be the Napoleonic Wars. I'm tentatively guessing Nelson at Aboukir Bay, 1798, where French ships were captured. The plate impression 12 ½” by 19 5/8”. It's pencil signed with a name I can't quite read (maybe Whithead?), and is numbered No.6, which might indicate this to be the 6th in a series of images. Any thoughts on subject, artist, or what else the number might mean?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I think you are right about the Napoleonic war, there are certainly three captured French fourth or fifth rate ships, of the correct general design but stylistically I don't think the print is any earlier than the mid 20th C.

The signature looks like Alf Wichards

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Whishaw for the last name?

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for looking. I'm not finding anything under any of these names, nor Wishard, Wishead, Wishart. There are some etchings related to Aboukir, but not this, and that's a guess anyhow.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I wonder if it might be Alf Whiihaus. I think that is a possible surname.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for looking. Not finding anything under that either. It's not a bad etching. Not great, but not bad. You'd think there would be something online.

7. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Probably A.Y. (Alexander) Whishaw.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Possibly. Possibly. That could very well be A Y rather than Alf. At least there is reference to him as a watercolorist and etcher (1 watercolor, 1 etching), but I'm not finding any photos of his work. Somewhere in there was a reference to 1914, but no biographical info or dates for the artist. Best hope so far. Thanks.

9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

[​IMG]

could be-here's a sig by the artist u mention-quite different-I have no idea how artist's sigs change over time

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Good find. That might be the difference between printed with a brush and written with a pencil.

That's a watercolor painting of sailboats on water. There is some similarity in the approach to rendering the sky, but that might just be a question of convention. The treatment of the water is pretty different, but that might be due to differences in media. Hard to tell.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted