Mark On Black Southwest Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Jan 30, 2019.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

0420C51F-B9EF-4D03-A8E6-7F0BE8BB0C5A.jpeg E81435D1-4512-4643-B1FE-04020ADD3741.jpeg Anybody recognizes the mark?

cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

However, the listing in the link describes the pottery as Native American, and it is not.

George and Georgene Garrett were husband and wife, who had a small pottery in Phoenix in the 1970's-1980's. They produced souvenir giftware that had a "Southwest" or "Indian" theme. They were not Native American. It would be considered Studio Pottery.

The daughter of the couple gave this information on the old eBay Pottery Board in response to a question about the GG signature on a similar pot.

Unlike Native American black on black pottery, it was made with a commercial black clay (available through most pottery supply companies), glazed with a wax-resist technique, and fired in a kiln. Some of their pieces were poured in molds (with the seams still showing), rather than being individually thrown on a potter's wheel.

Pueblo potters hand coil their pots, using local clay, which turns black only when reduction fired in an outdoor bonfire.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I bought a Pueblo piece from the maker. She showed my how they hand polish the stuff with pebbles. Wonderful.

judy, Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That would be a neat video to see!!!!!!

judy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted