Featured Market For Bookshelves & Bookcases?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Joe2007, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Anybody else see nice quality solid-wood bookshelves and bookcases selling decently well compared to other brown/dark furniture? I've seen this at local auctions for the past several years, nobody wants the china cabinets or antique bedroom sets but bookshelves still seem to sell decently. Any thoughts?

2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

There always seem to be a fair amount of interest in nice wood bookshelves. they're just so usable - not only for books, but objects of all descriptions. Prices run the spectrum - low for simple pine, to well into the hundreds and higher for beautiful antique hardwood examples with carved detail. Larger ones will likely have to sell locally due to cost of shipping.

Joe2007, Figtree3, Fid and 4 others like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

When it was time for me to sell off all of the bookshelves and display pieces from out of my shop, I was unable to recoup the $60+ bucks per unit it cost me to build 6x6' pine bookshelves, nicely vertically braced in the back and front braced, painted white enamel. I was unable to sell any of my store fixtures for any profit. I eventually accepted an offer of $75 on a cypress cabinet shelving display with two doors containing antique wavy glass just to get the thing out of my shed.

So I'm not going to give advise to purchase wood furniture unless it's very inexpensive and you can actually use it on your own property. Especially dark brown wood furniture. Such a shame, I know.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Market is strong for cheap sturdy bookcases. Nice ones tend to sit awhile. We have a beautiful triple mission quartersawn bookcase sitting for 6 weeks now. Price is $600.00 so I am sure that is the problem.

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

If I found a cheap sturdy bookcase near me that would fit in my apt and they would deliver it, I would snap it up in a flash. Most are too big or I can't get them home or they are too pricey. I will keep looking.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yes, agreed that the bookshelf market seems stronger than the brown furniture market in general.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted