Featured Market For Vintage Pyrex

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Hello Folks.

I wanted to get the forums opinions on the market and collectability of vintage Pyrex glassware. Is the current strong market for all things Pyrex sustainable or is there a risk of the market getting oversupplied since there is an unbelievable amount of Pyrex out there waiting to hit eBay?

I've slowly started to collect some Pyrex and wanted to learn more about it and where the mania around it in recent years is sustainable or is just a fad that will dissipate in a few years.

Thanks,
    Joe2007

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Rare patterns go for good money. Really rare patterns go for SILLY money. Anything dishwasher-damaged doesn't sell. Regular Pyrex ... meh.

judy, Figtree3, pearlsnblume and 6 others like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

My 2 cents worth - learn what patterns (and what colours) were produced in limited supply, either promotional or test/prototype patterns. There have been several of the 'rare' pieces showing up over the last year or so, I think it is people downsizing or dying and their cupboards are being emptied out of these hard to find pieces.
    Here is a listing that ended recently, it could very well be one of a kind.
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pyrex-475-F...vip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720
    An example for the more common patterns is the butterprint pattern - it is popular, and you can find lots out there in the turquoise and pink, but they did a limited amount in yellow and that is the money colour for that pattern.
    Following what has sold/prices on ebay is helpful, and there is lots of good information on-line for patterns, colors, etc., well worth the time to read them so you will be ready to grab that bowl/dish when you see it:)

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

PyrexRedbowl.jpg I think I have the red one....:hilarious::hilarious:
    & it ain't brand new either...................mom baked a lot ! :joyful:

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think the high prices are not sustainable. In another 10 years, everyone who grew up with this stuff will be out of the collecting age and looking to downsize. I don't see any real intrinsic value in Pyrex beyond its utility.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    In it's hayday Pyrex was a huge seller. I sold a set of teardrop shaped clear Pyrex only three years old to Japan for 55 dollars. The woman paid 80 dollars to have it shipped overnight. It was a huge hit in Japan. I paid 3 dollars for it NEW in a store.
    greg

7. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

We are phasing out of the Pyrex market already... noting a bit of a downturn. A couple years ago we sold everything we could get our hands on.

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree with sentiments above. The market for the non-rare Pyrex has taken a definite turn. It was super popular a few years ago (Japan, mostly). Perhaps just wore out it's welcome, or maybe with the onset of brand new pieces being produced, that may have watered things down. I think the newer Pyrex line is officially called "Vintage Pyrex". Easily found on Amazon, etc.

But as cx points out in that link, the rare or one of a kind pieces can still have ridiculous value.

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why they put "OOAK" in the listing? Makes the design sound handmade?

10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

For the same reason they put other words such as rare, vintage antique, WOW, L@@K, etc. they are doing anything they can to get exposure.

pearlsnblume and antidiem like this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My mom's still got her primary colors set of mixing bowls... a bit worse for the wear.

komokwa, pearlsnblume and antidiem like this.
  12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think they meant "one of a kind" as in "the only one in existence."

Whether that is true or not, who knows. Mind boggling that it sold for $1.7K

cxgirl and antidiem like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I still have my mothers pyrex bowl set here. They stayed in pretty good condition graphics wise and color wise even tho they were put into the dishwasher.

She used to make toll house cookies using the largest bowl when all the flour mixtures got blended together. These bowls have the cinderella handles.

I never knew what her secret was to making the cookies taste so good and stay soft.
    I was never able to duplicate how she did it, must have been a secret.
    LOL

Regarding pyrex, around here some people think they have struck gold when they find pyrex at sales. I have seen many many overpay for pyrex bowls.

Plus there are new Pyrex reference books out. The price of the books are not cheap. I think the person who has been paying crazy high prices for rare or one of a kind patterns buys them for his or her books and uses that as book value perhaps???

I have some of the clear bottom Pyrex bowls here, I need to sell them tho.
    Only recently have the clear bottom bowls been selling as far as I can see.

I stopped buying them unless they are rare because they are heavy to ship.
    I will say this, I think there are a lot of people who remember their parents having the bowls and they simply want to have the same look in their kitchens.
    So.... who knows what the future holds???
    And that is my 2 cents.

14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I've always hand washed my pyres
    THAT would not surprise me!

15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I meant to say that my mother put them into the dishwasher. Since I have had them for the better part of 20 plus years now in my place, they have never been used, just nested on a shelf.
    Can't let those go for now.... they were a big part of my childhood. Some day maybe.

And yes, I agree pyrex should be hand washed.

komokwa, antidiem and judy like this.
  16. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

18. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Pyrex coffee pot.jpg Other popular vintage Pyrex items are the clear glass stove top coffee pot/percolators (I received one as a wedding gift in 1967). Apparently, modern-day coffee connoisseurs think they brew the best coffee. I've found a few at thrift stores for $1.95-$4.95 (but the chain thrifts stores have gotten wise to their popularity and have raised their prices accordingly). I've sold them for as much as $83 on ebay. Even just the various parts sell well. To remove any coffee stains, I brew a pot of water with a spoonful of Oxyclean -- it makes the pot and aluminum strainers look like new. I also use it to clean vintage Corning Ware coffee pots. I wash well afterwards and then brew a pot of coffee and rinse again before selling the pot.

Joe2007, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  19. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I can appreciate someone’s passion for collecting and paying up for things they like. I wonder how they’ll feel about it 15 years from now when it’s worthless and nobody wants it.
    I’ve bought thousands of paintings in my lifetime and paid up for special ones. I also sold most of my collection just as the market started to tank and still did really well on all of it. If I had waited any longer it would have been at a considerable loss.

judy, Joe2007, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I think for some folks, when they are buying it they aren't thinking down the road, they just want it. There is a lady here that has a crazy amount of Pyrex. There is 2 rooms full of new in the boxes sets, many going back to the 1960s, 3 rooms full of single pieces, all packed up. She has never used any of them, none are on display, she just enjoys knowing she has them and has no desire to sell any of them (yes I've asked, lol:))

Figtree3, Joe2007, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted