Featured Marking on mexican bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kimbert, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

Hi all!
    Just curious if anyone knows what the marking on this bracelet stand for. My picture makes it unclear (I tried to do better, but I only have a phone camera that does not do close up well!) But I can make out what it says better in person. top line says sterling (followed by number I can't read probaby 0925), second line says =R.F.C.= third line hecho en mexico. I'm wondering what R.F.C. stands for and is it safe to assume this dates to pre 1948 with no eagle marking?
    hechen.jpg amethyst.jpg

judy, komokwa, Xristina and 3 others like this.
  2. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Pretty. Unknown maker and pre 1948 IMO.

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  3. Kimbert

I figured that might be all we could glean from it! But it's good to at least know a ballpark for date- thank you! =)

judy and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Wait for someone to check Hougarts but I couldn’t find an RFC identified on the internet and I’m relatively knowledgeable on vintage Mexican silver. There are so many unidentified Mexican silversmiths but you’ve got a piece of age that’s “pre Eagle”.

6. Kimbert

@i need help -yes, much better pic, thank you!
    @reader cool, I'll wait to see if anyone else knows- thanks for your help!

Aquitaine, judy and i need help like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a classic Mexican bracelet design. Have one like -- but with mother of pearl -- that I bought in the early 1970s so went to look and compare. Yours is better made; mine is stamped with an eagle. Agree with date.

Debora

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Try B.A.C
    or
    B.P.C.

Kimbert and i need help like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very pretty bracelet, Kimbert, and I'm with the others on pre '48.
    Tried that in Hougart, also RPC, RFC, APC, AFC, nothing.:( Does anyone read anything else maybe?
    Mind you, there were and are so many silversmiths in Mexico, some marks will never be identified.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Respectfully, I think the initials are as stated by the OP and seen as the same by at least one other seller. As stated, there are so very many unidentified Mexican silversmiths and it’s not worth putting a ton of effort into a piece that I believe will never be identified and identification IMO will not change the value. The bracelet is attractive but common.The best thing it has going is a pre eagle date and seemingly good condition. so that and reasonable pricing should be all that is needed to sell it as it’s not by a silversmith of note.

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  11. Kimbert

thanks for checking!! sounds like it's likely unidentifiable! Thank you for racking your brains for me!

12. Kimbert

I don't sell so don't really need to put a value on it, I just ask for my own knowledge/ pure curiousity- I hope I don't waste time having people look up things that are futile!! You are right, probably unidentifiable, just thought if ever someone knew off the top of their head! Thanks for the info!!

judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Kimbert

sounds pretty! I love the design, I've seen many for sale with the same design either with amethysts or other stones!

14. Any Jewelry

Not at all, sometimes we find a way to identify something, and sometimes we don't. It is always worth the effort.

15. Kimbert

aw well I really appreciate you trying to look it up!!

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Totally agree and wish I had a name for you. This is a category I personally collect although I pretty much stay with the MCM guys but am familiar with most of the significant Mexican silversmiths.

Also, definitely check the tongue to make sure it clicks firmly in the groove and doesn’t need adjustment. I ruined a serious piece when it fell off my wrist and crashed on tile, stone side down (of course) breaking every stone.

judy, Any Jewelry and Kimbert like this.
  17. Kimbert

What does MCM stand for? I think I plan to pick up a copy of Hougart's book- I collect casually- very small collection, mostly only pieces I could find low-ish cost so never by the famous Mexican silversmiths, but I could look at pics all day!!

about the tongue, it seems to hold well, but now that you mention it, it doesn't "click", I wonder if it does need an adjustment? That is seriously so sad, I'm so sorry that happened to your bracelet!!

judy, reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Mid Century Modern, a significant design period in the entire Modernist age.
    Modernism also includes Art Deco, and stops ca 1980 when Post-Modernism starts.

judy, Kimbert and reader like this.
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I go gaga over the 60s modernist guys although I also love Spratling’s earlier preColumbian pieces. The bracelet I destroyed was an Antonio Pineda who’s my personal fave. Thanks for the kind words-it still hurts when I think about it. I’ve also learned that I should only wear stones on my neck or ears although that damage wasn’t my fault other than not double checking the clasp. I rarely wear stones on my wrists or fingers as I’m just too hard on jewelry.

Re: Your bracelet-just test it and make sure it’s holding tight before each wearing. Eventually you will probably have to adjust the tongue.

Wear it in good health. It’s a very nice historic period piece. There was virtually no silversmithing in Taxco prior to the 30s. Only silver mining until an American named William Spratling moved to Taxco and started what has become a major industry.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

so - does "pre-eagle" mean earlier that 1948???
    What is the significance?

TIA

judy and Kimbert like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted