Featured Marrietta Ga, estate sale trip.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mmarco102, Oct 11, 2018.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Well, I have to say that the past 48hr was not boring to say the least. With a level 2 hurricane Michael, baring down on the panhandle of Florida. We took off driving Tuesday late afternoon for Georgia. Because of the hurricane I thought it better not to visit my friend as he had a lot of preparation to do around the house with his boys. With Michael predicted to make land-fall early Thursday, my plan was to be safly home Wednesday late evening.

Got into Marrietta late Tuesday nite, and up at 6:00, we headed to the sale after a quick breakfast. Arrived 8:00(opens at 10am), signed-in and were 19 and 20th on the list(thought we’d be first :) ). See pictures: second picture you can see the line going down the stree and picture was taken 30 min before open(added treat: you can see the back of my Lillei’s head, in front of garbage can. Haha)

They announced that due to the amount of people, and the fact that the house was so cluttered, they were going to let people in waves, allowing only a certain amount in at a time and assurring everyone that there was plenty for all. Well as they opened and we entered through the garage, Lillei entered the house, the man stopped me saying that was enough. Ha! No way I shouted, “THAT’S MY WIFE” :) and got in, whew!

I want to personally thank @Bdigger and @cxgirl for giving me directions to focus my hunting. I landed some of their keen choices.

We were there till 2:30pm and aqired about 50 items. Some great pieces to sell along with some simple not to important ones too. Pricing was very good, things were over priced, of coures, but more so under priced :), example being the 4 Alexandrite glass pieces at $30 each(thank you again for pointing to it, Bdigger). All in all across the board on average that was the price we paid for each item with some above and some below.

We arrived home early this morning about 2am, just barely out running the hurricane, as the last two pictures show us, first about 3 hours south of Atlanta(should have been 1 1/2 hours but traffic and weather). The feeder ban over Atlant was the worst to get through, and then clearing the storm entering Florida.

Exhausted, I will post picture soon. Thanks for listening, going to go tinker with my new toys. :):);)

7594360C-9408-4D9D-B780-265137ED310D.jpeg 7A59CD16-037C-43B8-9FC2-5A037FCC668E.jpeg 2C04AE0C-0148-4881-9E5E-A27DB0556D25.jpeg CD918373-F7EE-4D1E-AA43-4F54BB5E4EA4.jpeg

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear more, MMarco!

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Sounds like a busy couple of days! Can't wait to see what goodies you bought:)

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What fun ! Cant wait to see the goodies !

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. Seems we all look kinda the same waiting in line.

6. mmarco102

Ok so the second in line was a chinese dealer that had 10 chinese men with him. They signed in just after midnight and slept in their vehicals. Needless to say, they were the experts and must have had every image online engraved in their memory as they all went to a predetermined room and grabbed everything they could, weather they wanted it or not. Brought it back to the boss who than selected appropriately, geeeezes!!!!!!!!! Well it is a business and he is good at it. Respect.

Here is some of the items I like, not many high value but for me good.

0D19C8FD-D3BC-4F6A-8F8D-8873F719B10F.jpeg 0E90987E-C6F4-400C-9651-898D81DB8647.jpeg BA16CA62-8F1E-4DE4-8303-CCF552B33592.jpeg 5412CDAC-617C-433A-9350-AE02DA4AE1EE.jpeg 72F1DF2A-8D7F-4D57-96FF-6B203832A6E7.jpeg 6768E6F7-0FE8-49A3-8109-FAEA20A2AEE9.jpeg 80799B46-BBA3-4162-A62B-188F1C845065.jpeg EAE4E270-C15F-4223-B493-F29C3A556AC6.jpeg 3E370F79-4E62-47B4-9D69-BDB1A6EF95F8.jpeg F9FDF804-302A-4A72-8F8B-6BE68A4D4F59.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, you did well, looks like some very nice items:)
    are those frog on the lily pad pieces marked?

8. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The Alexandrite is cool (of course) The vase and bowl are by Tiffin and the color is called twilight by them. The little lemon dish I know but the brain is not working right now. I'M THINKING Cambridge........but could be way off. (Cambridge called the color Wisteria.)

i need help and mmarco102 like this.
  9. mmarco102

Funny you should ask ;), yes they do :)
    “CLEMENT MASSIER * GOLFE JUAN (A.M.)
    ...and thank you again.

Here is a link on him.
    http://www.ceramique-massier.com/pages/history.php

But here is where I could use some help, In researching the mark, I found a lot of frogs, pulling a snail shell. So who copied who? ....I haven’t been able to dig up an online image of his.
    See this link.
    https://www.google.com/search?q="CLEMENTS+MASSIER+POTTERY+OF+A++FROG+PULLING+A+SNAIL+SHELL&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=vsXdRLAJF7bFPM:

My face dropped, when I pulled them out from the shelf and they changed to a teal. I didn’t get down into the basement for about twenty minutes and feared they were gone. So many people pasted them up. Guessing I would have too. Thanks

A5C1B4A0-934A-4262-9447-B4A4021A3070.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Geez, I have no idea. I'll poke around and see if can find anything. Having 4 of them, I wonder what they are for? Just decoration? How big are they? Maybe post this in the pottery section to get more help:)
    @i need help might be able to find some

11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

mmarco102 likes this.
  12. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

A lot of people don’t know what to look for with alexandrite. I get a lot that way. I could go to eBay right now and find at least 4 or 5 pieces listed which are alexandrite that the sellers have no clue as to what they are.

13. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Marco, you did well and hope your DW enjoyed it, too.
    About 10 years ago I found some rice paper drawings like your warriors in about the same condition. Took them to my conservator / framer and he ID'd them for me. Several people tried to buy the groupings while he had them. I still have them here and love them.
    Patd

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those rice paper drawings are really cool. I've found one or two over the years, but not many. One guess - they had no clue about the snuff bottles, and you didn't tell them.

i need help, mmarco102 and judy like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

So far just finding Watcombe (Torquay) In pottery, 1 says posey vase??
    Yes, start a new thread in pottery. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  16. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Amazing event. So interesting about the Chinese group with 10 people sleeping in their cars. Must have been some estate sale.

Love what you got -- my favorite, those frogs! Hope you can find out a bit of the history.

Thanks for giving us a chance to experience the event, too!

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks INH:) I found some too, seems several are out there by Watcombe. Here is one from Skinner auctions 2004, sold for $353.00
    https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2251/lots/324.
    Could be a posey vase, maybe victorian grotesque?
    Maybe @anundverkaufen would have information on the frogs

18. mmarco102

I saw some in online picture 292 and 294, and found a few more in the same room. All together about 12, but put most of them back if they didnt have the spoon or looked like walmart specials. Hope I did right. :). Only kept five, and my favorite is the larger one you see me hold up to the ceiling light. It looks like a black bottle till you hold up to the light. The two slender bottles, I believe to be for medicine and not snuff. Very good deal for all.

@cxgirl , they are 8” long, I will take both yours and INH suggestion, and post in pottery. It seems there has to be a story there with so many versions, i would love to know its origin.

@patd8643, I wish I had a conservator/framer ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    cxgirl and judy like this.
  19. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I’d guess sweetmeat servers/dishes.

20. mmarco102

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted