Marshall's Aluminum Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by The Marshall House, Mar 22, 2020.

1. The Marshall House

The Marshall House The home of General George C. Marshall

Hi all,

We have in our collection George C. Marshall's aluminum office chair that is in need of repair. As you can see from the photos, the spring is broken and no longer holds the chair upright. We also attached a photo of General Marshall sitting in the chair!

We have tried to contact local furniture repair companies but all of them have said they only repair wood furniture. Would anyone know of someone in or around Loudoun County, VA who could repair this chair? Thanks!

IMG_8966-min.jpeg
    Answering mail -Leesburg-min.jpg

James Conrad and i need help like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

If it was over here I would be looking for a Fabricator

James Conrad likes this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Davey - people stateside don't know what a fabricator is, (although they can probably guess) *britspeak!*

James Conrad likes this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, i can see where this would present problems, you need 2 different trades, metal fabricator & an upholster. Might consider contacting both, more work for you that way but sometimes, the long way home is the best way home.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    daveydempsey likes this.
  5. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Someone that tells tall tales?

(joking)

anundverkaufen and James Conrad like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Well James understands and it is an official titled occupation.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You might find a similar chair to cannibalize for parts. I don't think those arm rests are original, though clearly what he used in the photo. They would have had thinner upholstery that went down onto the front curve. Similar to this.....

[​IMG]

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted