Martial Redon figurine (Limoges), did they make figurines?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Oct 26, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

Googling around a bit I dont see any examples of them making figurines such as this one. Does this look legit?
    36800229_19B38A78FB084D44B39781935C25A0E5.jpeg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

2. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy it because the unglazed bottom and mark

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

In my opinion, yes. My Limoges book (Gaston) says that Martial Redon was known to produce decorative arts and this falls into that category. Most Limoges is known to us because of dinnerware pieces that survived but Limoges factories also produced many lovely figurines. I assume they were expensive and weren't produced in large quantities since they are not found often. The bottom doesn't bother me as it appears consistent with the glazing on the rest of the piece. As for the mark I think it is too obscure a factory to be worth using a fake mark. Clean with Dawn and Krud Kutter and a soft toothbrush and it should come back beautifully.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

She absolutely needs a good bath of SOME SORT!!!!:happy::happy::happy:

Rec and bercrystal like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

We would like to see her after her shower. ;) :happy::happy: :playful::playful::playful:

John Brassey and Rec like this.
  6. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

this was my first thought, but the bottom of all MR pieces are always glazed. And look at the color difference at the edges

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I noticed the color edges but thought they may have been the remainds of an adhesive. Perhaps she had a base or was given a base at some point? I must admit I haven't handled many if these figurines.

8. sunday silence

what does that raised up portion below the mark mean? its says "620" or "G20" or something. Is that the mold? And what do we call that? Its not incised..

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I assume it is a mold number.

10. sunday silence

oh I get it, the mold no. is part of the mold. Duh...

11. 50irina50

50irina50 New Member

I saw a batch of Chinese figurines of different heights on the theme of Greek and Roman statues. The main feature is that they are not glazed. They put any stamps!

Draft saved Draft deleted