Featured Masons Ironstone pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by daveydempsey, Sep 19, 2020.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Before this is advertised as a job lot, is there anything that stands out and could be worth more than the norm.

20200919_131305.jpg

20200919_131236.jpg

20200919_131251.jpg

20200919_131113.jpg

20200919_131116.jpg

2. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

If I were selling I would probably sell the frame and the blue jug as individual items as they are a bit different and the rest as a job lot.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Also the tea caddy/biscuit jar? I don't see the mark showing on that one. Is it older?

4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought the tea caddy as well looks the best piece

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

About twenty quid the lot.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That's ALL????? I'd have thought about double at least......but that's just me, here in the U.S. They're all so lovely and marked!!!

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:hilarious::hilarious::eek:

8. komokwa

ya, the frame and tea caddy stand out as items to be sold separate ......

pearlsnblume and Aquitaine like this.
  9. daveydempsey

I was thinking £25 the lot, its just not selling.
    I had 95 pieces of Hornsea on Gumtree at £175 the lot, no takers in a month.
    I reduced it to £95 or £1 each and got one bite, he came a week later, but he bought it as usable crockery, he didn't realise it was collectable.

I have tons of Wedgwood, Crown Derby, Poole, Doulton, Crown Devon and more, it seems people have fallen out of love with it.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OH Lordy, I guess times ARE a'changin'.....sadly!:(

11. komokwa

could it just be that folks no longer what the whole lot...but instead would buy a single they liked or needed???

An auction recently had 3 masks in a lot...one of which I could have used....the other two I didn't need or really want....
    now maybe there was a day I would have jumped on 3 to get one......but I no longer feel like paying for 3 to get 1 .....
    yes there are exceptions................but you get the gist of it...

12. daveydempsey

I was taking pottery to boot fairs last year and to be quite honest there was little interest in it.
    I've just completed 3 large house clearances in 10 days and all the unnamed or general crockery plus many ornaments were dumped.

I had approx a quarter ton 225kg in a tonne bag, it went into the hard core skip at the dump., I can't afford to hold it and charities don't want it.

Its the same with glass, I get lots of crystal that must have cost thousands in the past but can't sell it.

If it had been 225kg of scrap copper I would have got £1000.

Its hardly worth my time and storage separating named and collectable ceramics.

Tonne bag.
    builders-bag-sand-topsoil.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  13. komokwa

I hear ya ....& understand !

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Sad, isn't it. I'd rather Freegle or freecycle it if I can. Some Hornsea does sell well: the mugs, always and some patterns, also butter dishes and unusual shapes. The Facebook groups are excellent for niche stuff. I've got £20 for one Hornsea mug before now.

15. LovesVintage

LovesVintage reader of books and tea leaves

How depressing. Maybe things will swing back the other way and people will start appreciating the old things again. It could just be the troubled times.

patd8643 likes this.
  16. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

The graduated jugs are the ones I'd go for. It seems everything is harder to shift in Australia, too.

17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Crown Derby! I'm sure I could go for that!

I really like the graduated pitchers as well, but I don't collect that sort of thing and wouldn't use it either, so there you are.

18. daveydempsey

@ola402
    I found two pieces of modern Crown Derby whilst rooting around for something else.

A Chaffinch and a Greenfinch paper weights.
    Apparently the one with the silver stud/button/stopper is an imperfection

Gold stud/button/stopper are top class premium.

20200920_194809.jpg

20200920_194846.jpg
    20200920_194912.jpg

20200920_194917.jpg

20200920_194924.jpg

Bookahtoo and bercrystal like this.
  19. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Davy, assuming you sold those? They are very popular on line. Those are so lovely even the silver button version.

Draft saved Draft deleted