Featured May be wrong forum - found in my attic - projectile?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I find the oddest things. This was on one of the side beams in our attic. The house has been in the family since it was built in 1870 so there's no way of knowing who left it there. It looks like a tiny bomb. I put it next to a pen so you could see the dimensions. 2014-09-16 15.02.06 (800x600).jpg

2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

3. all_fakes

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Dang. How'd it get in my attic? We have two military bases on the Cape that were used for training. One from 30s through the 80s and Otis is still a working base. The other possibility is my brother-in-law the packrat lived here until we bought the house and he collected all kinds of things.

5. all_fakes

For sure a packrat of some sort dropped it.

6. taipan2

taipan2 Member

Also Dropped on the enemy in heavy cover from planes by the thousands.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

One heck of a ricochet!

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's been almost 5 years since Bev posted this little thing. Wonder whether she got someone to blow it up....;)

10. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

Very cool. Using one of those museum wire stands (used for tools, little relics, antiquities), that would be a very handsome piece to display, with a nice story.

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Back right after the 911 attacks. A friend and I were hired to help go through an old apartment. I found a huge 5 ft practice bomb in a closet. it belonged to the guy who was cleaning out his mother,s apartment. the bomb was bright blue and you could see it was empty. He had bought it in an Army Navy surplus store. He planned on taking it on the airplane when he went back to California. I said are you crazy there is no way that is going on a airplane. He called several airlines and they thought he was demented. He then thought he would ship it back to CA by the Post Office after calling several Post Offices we were surrounded by several FBI agents and a hazmat crew. Even though it was okayed by the departments. He asked me to freight it to him after a couple of weeks. The whole time going home I kept thinking if anyone stops the car and finds the bomb I would go to jail or be shot. A month later I had a moving company take the box to go to California. The guy paid for the shipping but never thanked me for going through the trouble.
    greg

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Greg, you have had such an interesting life and are a good storyteller. Have you ever written articles or books with your stories?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Fig,
    Several people have made statements that I should write a book. Alas I have not written anything about my life. I never realized what an exciting life I have lived. I thought everyone has gone through what I have done.
    greg

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

The little 'bomb' is in my display case which is full of oddities. I had forgotten all about this thread. Greg - yes, start recording your life stories. Someone will transcribe it. We can't let our good experiences vanish. I've seen movies and read books that are less interesting than some of the stuff here.

15. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Greg, your story reminded me of my neighbor and a co-worker.

My neighbor does clean outs. Sometimes he will bring me things to research. One item, turned out to be a Japanese grenade from WWII. He had already pulled the top off before he brought it to me. Luckily, the stuff that made it go "boom" had already been removed. I told him to never do that again. Don't open anything that might be military or looks lethal until it is identified!

Many years ago, my co-worker was in the reserves and, every summer he spent two weeks training and playing military games on one of the bases near Bev's home. They were doing something with one of those "practice bombs", however, someone screwed up and used a real bomb. He was lucky to be alive but ended up with permanent injuries and lost his sight in one eye. An investigation was launched but I never heard the results.

Christmasjoy, Michael77 and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

Looks like a US “Lazy Dog Bomb”

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. carolgal

carolgal Well-Known Member

Me too until the day I discovered the beach shack (serving food) I rented in Goa was a notorious drug place and the owner's brothel was 500 yards behind it. Paid a year in advance so I was going nowhere. Took some creativity and lots of Irish diplomacy but ended with skinflint Norwegians bagging the sunbeds and buying one bottle of water a day!!! And being mum to all the ladies of the night who were far from home. Best part was some enquiries as to whether I was available (50 plus at the time) however my staff were horribly offended for their 'madam' and came out with their machetes to defend my honour!!! I was charmed of course to be asked. Jeeeezzzzzz I could go on and on.....

Started to think after that time what a life I am having...........

Christmasjoy and Mansons2005 like this.
  18. carolgal

carolgal Well-Known Member

None of it my fault!!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Back in the 80s I was driving my son off-Cape one morning and they'd closed part of Route 6 because someone miscalculated trajectory and blew a chunk out of the highway. The first guy to come along knew what he was seeing and called the authorities immediately. He said he was glad to be late for work that day!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted