Featured Mayan Candelabra Bookends? Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Eupatorian, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Eupatorian

Eupatorian New Member

I'm trying to find more information about these guys...can't find anything quite like them on the internet. I think they are mid-20th century, possibly from Guatemala (souvenir type thing) They look Mayan to me, with possible Art Deco influence? They're made from banded calcite (Mexican Onyx), but all the other Mayan/Aztec inspired mid-century calcite carvings I see are usually cruder and exclusively bookends. These are candelabras, but since one side of each is flat it seems they could be used as bookends. Any thoughts or information is appreciated. Thanks!
    IMG_9820 (2)-001.JPG IMG_9821-001.JPG IMG_9824-001.JPG IMG_9825-001.JPG IMG_9825 (2)-001.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Eupatorian (Crimean?).
    I've never seen your candelabras before, but I like them. All I can say is, yes, the heads look Maya. The scroll motif in the centre could also be Mayan.
    And a nice design, nicely made. Can't see them being used as bookends though, because of the plinth.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree Mexican onyx.
    I don't think they were meant to be bookends. Although I am sure they are heavy enough to be used as such.

Probably higher end gift shop.
    Mayan or Aztec design.
    I think 1960s - 70s, purely a guess on my part.

4. Eupatorian

Eupatorian New Member

Thanks for the info! Eupatorian is a botanical reference to one of my currently favorite plants Eupatorium serotinum. And thanks for the word "plinth"...wouldn't have known what to call it.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Oops, totally different.:shame: I was thinking Eupatoria (Yevpatoria), a city on the Crimean peninsula. An inhabitant of Eupatoria is a Eupatorian.:)

Eupatorian likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted