Featured Maybe '30's Blueprint of famous violin......

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Aquitaine, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Me again! So whilst 'closet digging' came across a bag which I knew had 3 or 4 old violins which are believed to be not worth much.....a friend in an orchestra had them looked at....(I'm still miffed at the dealer who made the bows disappear while his crew was collecting & putting stuff in the van way back then....he was asked/told to leave the bows and violins there!!) Back in the Fifties, on Block Island, we got to know the old timer who made one or two of the violins.....however....I drift.....in the bag I had forgotten there was this blueprint.....no date but printed on it by 'Elias Howe Co., Boston' .....the blueprint is of the "Dublin Stradivarius" violin, and has to date somewhere between about 1880 to 1920ish, as that's about when Elias ran the company in Boston, before he died and his sons took it over in 1895 and made sewing machines (I think). (I'm betting the old timer George was thinking he might want to make that violin!!!! He did a pretty nice job on his!!!!) Just wondering if the blueprint might be anything. I don't find much information on the net! But ALSO want to know if there is a way to keep the paper from continuing to split/break on the one end....it's already torn, but wants to keep tearing when unrolling....even as careful as I try to be.....I know scotch tape is a no-no, but what CAN I do??? Thanks for ANY/ALL help as always!!!

DolphinStradBlueprint.jpg
    EliasHoweCoBoston.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm guessing not worth much, but might have some curiosity value. It's my understanding that violin makers work from templates to cut shapes, and molds to shape steamed wood. These drawings would have provided the shapes to create templates.

Here's a company that seems to do much the same today:

https://www.internationalviolin.com/Shop/tools/violin-bridge-fingerboard-patterns-molds-templates

Even on that site, templates are available taken from known and famous violins.

Could be wrong.

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I would think this repair would be like book repair so Goofle that for ideas.
    I recall something about using tracing paper for the backing and maybe hand made milk glue? Not necessarily Borden's white glue.
    If you're going to frame it a good frame shop with a press can press it on Foamcore. This is done by pressure alone, no glue.

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. KingofThings

I meant to state that if it's pressed it probably wouldn't have to be repaired with glue if they can align it before pressing.

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Thanks both MOS and King for your input and link MOS....that was an interesting site! I will continue to TRY to search for info....Hadn't thought about framing it....not much for wall space what with way too many clowns!!! But I REALLY want to stop the tear, so will definitely look into that!!! All help gratefully received!!!!!! And I forgot to add....in the original post that the print is 28 1/2" X 21".........better late than never????

KingofThings likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Framed up and preserved, violin players (hobbyists since the pros generally can't afford beans) would be all over that as wall art, damage or no damage.

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  7. KingofThings

Suggestion....
    Do some value research...
    If it is of good value fix or have it repaired...
    Take it to a blueprint shop...one you can trust to not copy it for themselves...doubt they would...don't tell them what you are doing with it...
    Have them email you the file...
    Have them make some copies...
    Frame and use one for yourself...
    Store your original safely in an acid-free tube... (bp shop should have them)
    Post it on eBay and ETSY...
    Sell your extras...
    Ship them in a round tube NOT a FedEx triangular box... : p :(
    Sell more...
    Email the print shop to make them as you sell them...
    Take a vacation in the south of France. :)
    ~
    Send me kickbacks for the idea. ;)

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

How'd ya like Paris, Kingsie????? Just kidding.......;);) Fascinating ideas though!!!!!!!!! And I've got a nephew who could make me the blueprints!!!!!!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

I LOVE your thinking!!!!!:smuggrin:

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

As a matter of fact....I did like Paris. :)
    I was there to install a huge walk through art piece, I had fabricated, at the science museum. It was a French history Polage(R) paid for by Readers Digest and designed by the artist I used to assist.
    I was there for the '89 Eiffel Tower anniversary celebration too. :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. KingofThings

:)

12. Aquitaine

Looks like we're an hour late and a dollar short:confused::(:oops::oops::oops:

http://fineartamerica.com/art/musical+instruments+blueprints+art

KingofThings likes this.
  13. KingofThings

14. evelyb30

15. KingofThings

I'm funcused...
    Is there an issue with you selling them?

16. evelyb30

Only that I don't own them....

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings

Oh! I misunderstood. I thought this was yours.

18. Aquitaine

No, mine is not there....just that that business already has a huge corner on that market!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  19. Aquitaine

King!!!! Have another cup 'o tea!!!! evlyb30's threads got a wee bit mixed up in the mix!!!!! I got it, but I think you were DOWN A CUP!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful: OR someone was......maybe it was meee...........all straightened out now.............I think!!!!:D:D:D:D

KingofThings likes this.
  20. evelyb30

I'm always down a cup... also a day late.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted