Featured McCoy Bluebirds - help dgbjwc, please!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lvetterli, Feb 5, 2017.

1. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

DSCN0010.JPG DSCN0011.JPG

Hello, here I am again about this vase. Is there a reference book with this line described in it? My one McCoy book has nothing like it. I've found a couple other pieces on eBay. I guess I'm nervous about listing it since I haven't found any closed sold items to get any idea of where I should start this. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I may just have to bite the bullet and subscribe to Worthpoint. Thanks,

Linda

Joe2007, Lucille.b and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Beautiful!
    Could be swallows...

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

You rang! Sorry, King, they are blue birds. This line is listed in Sanfords' "The Guide to Brush-McCoy Pottery" on pg. 37. I believe your vase is 043 B (043 being the shape and B for the Blue Bird decoration). It was introduced in 1915 and from what I can tell it must have been a short lived line as little information regarding that line is currently available.

As for pricing, that gets real tricky. As you've seen there are few sales out there. And the Sanfords haven't updated their price guide for this book since 1997 (as far as I know). At that time a comparable vase (041 B, 11") was listed at $350-$450. That price would be very hard to get in today's market. Personally, if it came up for auction in these parts, I'd be surprised if it got anything much over $200. These older pieces are not as popular as they once were. I think some folks consider them too old-fashioned. Standard glaze pieces (mostly brown backgrounds with florals) are also having this problem. Do I remember correctly that this is an inherited piece? If so, you don't have much money tied up in it and could afford to start it on the low side. I am very, very reluctant to give advice on pricing in today's market. But if you put a gun to my head (and to save you from a Worthpoint subscription) I'd be tempted to start it at $199 and see what happens. You can always lower it if you have to. Be prepared, though, to have it sell at that price. Best of luck, Linda! Contact me again here or through FB if you need me.
    Don

Lucille.b and KingofThings like this.
  4. lvetterli

Wow! Thanks, Don! No, I didn't inherit this, picked it up at auction for just a few bucks. Had no idea it was anything at all, when I posted it with several other items I said I thought maybe it was a craft piece. Won't hurt my feelings if it goes no higher than that! Do you know what other pieces were made in the line? I have seen a chamber pot and ewer and basin and what is listed as a soap dish lid.
    Again, many thanks for your help.

Linda

KingofThings likes this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The catalog photo in the book only shows vases and there is a jardiniere pictured. There is a chamberpot base also shown in the pictures but it's listed as experimental. Still a wash set wouldn't surprise me. I'll see if I can scan a picture of the page tomorrow.
    Don

KingofThings likes this.
  6. lvetterli

Again, many thanks!

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Here's the best scan I could get. I was wrong about a wash set piece showing in this book. Everything here is vases and jardinieres. The wash set shows in book 2 on pg. 51. There is a chamber pot up for sale on eBay. It's got 7 watchers which may be an indication that the price is a little on the high side especially given the condition.
    Don

Scan0002.jpg

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What an interesting thread! I'll never forget that piece now. Great info.

9. lvetterli

Thank you, thank you, Don! The crew here are just the best! I miss the old forum but I'm so happy this group was created. Thanks, peeps!

Connie Osborne and dgbjwc like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have never seen one of these in the wild, so to speak. It is nice to see one pop up here. I think a die-hard Brush-McCoy collector would want this but doubt much interest from the general public. I would be inclined to list it at a rather high price and offer it BIN with best offer option rather than at auction, though it wouldn't hurt to list it at auction once to see if you get a bidding war. I agree with Don that the $200.00 price point is in the ball-park of what this could bring.

11. lvetterli

Hi, to Don in particular and everyone else as well. I'm a happy camper as this vase will be on it's way to a new home tomorrow. Many thanks for all the input. I undershot the suggested opening $$ but considering how little I have in it, I think I did well. eBay item # 142273940439. And I thought it was a craft piece!

Linda

dgbjwc likes this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Linda!
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted