Featured McLoughlin Brothers Victorian Nesting Blocks 1888

Discussion in 'Books' started by lelliott19, Dec 15, 2020.

1. lelliott19

lelliott19 Member

upload_2020-12-15_22-2-12.png
    I wasn't sure where to post this since there isn't a category for toys, but since these sets of nesting blocks were manufactured by McLoughlin Brothers publishing company I decided books was a good place for them.
    upload_2020-12-15_22-3-24.png
    I've seen a few other sets of these - ABC's, Three Bears, and Grimms Fairy Tales - but this is the only set I've seen that includes Little Red Riding Hood, Jack in the Beanstalk, and Old Mother Hubbard. Has anyone else ever seen these?
    upload_2020-12-15_22-4-32.png
    My set is not in the best condition for sure -- especially the largest outside block which happens to be Old Mother Hubbard. Each block is marked McLoughlin Bros. New York copyrighted 1888.

Does anyone know of anyone who collects these or someone who might know the rarity of the Red Riding Hood and Jack in the Beanstalk blocks? Also interested in knowing what they might be worth. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

2. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Hi lelliott -- sorry, we can't help with information about rarity or price (except to say that they sold for $1.00-$1.25 in their time), but pages 94 and 95 of the circa 1894 McLoughlin catalogue (should be page 49 of the .pdf file) might be of footnote interest:
    https://www.americanantiquarian.org/mcloughlin/001248.pdf

... and we share your wish that there was a section here for Toys & Games...

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Perhaps the mods might consider this good idea. @daveydempsey @Bookahtoo @i need help

4. Andy710420

Andy710420 New Member

Does anybody have an idea on how rare this is. I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING LIKE IT. And I went down the rabbit hole for hours. Double sided picture blocks with 1 side being orange with the letter and the other side with an illustration of kids in a scene with names that start with that letter. 26 blocks + 2 blocks that have upper and lower case letters. Its 100% complete

Attached Files:

pearlsnblume and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful-a toy parade !

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Quick question for both of you two members, @lelliott19 and @Andy710420.... have either of you checked ebay.com to see if anyone there has any of these for sale?????

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. komokwa

Elliot.....not been here for over 2 years....

nice antique from a bygone era...

Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SOMEDAY.....MIGHT, only MIGHT....think about looking at posting dates:happy::jimlad::smuggrin:

10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Those damned posting dates have gotten me in trouble too-we need some kind of Automatic Warning Siren !

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  12. komokwa

Bahhhh, why start now ??
    I'll keep u on yer toes...;)

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  13. BaseballGames

One might think they could've been a little more alliterative with the alphabet blocks -- "T is for Tommy, trimming a tree," "A is for Ann, auditing the archdiocese" or something...

14. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

"Auditing the Archdiocese." ???!!!!!! :) :)

komokwa likes this.
  15. komokwa

Checking the Church's Cash !......:hilarious:

16. BaseballGames

That would have been the phrase on the block featuring Charlie or Carlotta...

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted