Featured MCM Chairs help please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by tyeldom3, May 17, 2019.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Hi all, long time no see! I've missed you! :)
    I know we don't do values here, but I'm trying to help out my great uncle. He's getting ready to move and is ready to find a new home for his chairs. He bought them new in 1946 or 47, in Washington D.C., but doesn't know name of place where he bought them. They were re-upholstered and re-springed probably in 80's or 90's. I can't find any marks on them anywhere, so if maker is unknown we have no idea how to try and value them. Any ideas? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.
    They are approx 31" across the top, 27.5" high in back, 27" distance of foot to foot.
    IMG_3687.JPG IMG_3688.JPG IMG_3686.JPG IMG_3685.JPG IMG_3684.JPG IMG_3683.JPG IMG_3682.JPG IMG_3681.JPG IMG_3680.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hi ty, welcome back!:) Missed you too.
    Love the chairs, but can't help, sorry.

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

:kiss::happy:

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those are really cool chairs!!

Welcome back, tyeldom! Good to see you! :)

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im curious,is there more wood under that dreadful (no offense to your uncle!) upholstery ? I looked for a while,and most seem to have a back rail that was wood. Im just wondering if it was covered . Whoever buys them would have to recover them anyway so maybe you can see if the original is under there.Good to see you again. :)

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Beginning to think I'm always the 'odd one out' - I like the upholstery and was just thinking the care that went into getting all those stripes to match-up. All in the eye of the beholder methinks - lol

7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hi, @tyeldom3

Possibly Heywood Wakefield- some elements of your chair here...

[​IMG]

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I like the upholstery too, probably not the colors I'd choose, but it's well-done, appropriate for the style and to my eye, the stripes complement the shape nicely...

~Cheryl

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Nice to see you, Ty! Cool chairs!

I see an arm stain in one photo which will hurt value, and if they were redone in the 80s/90s they might be somewhat worn comfort-wise.

Since they aren't in original condition and may not have a maker's name attached, it really comes down to vintage/decorative value.

If comfortable and no smells or issues other than that one stain (and assuming no maker's attribution) I could see the pair maybe priced at $200 plus or minus for the set if at an estate sale local to where I live. I'm sure they cost more than that to re-upholster/re-spring. They have wonderful lines, but that stain is an issue. Value might be different in other parts of the country (MCM is still sought after where I live). This is just a guesstimate of value of course, from photos only, and based on my location. Maybe others will have thoughts.

I really like them.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks Danish Moderne rather than MCM?
    Has Danish Moderne become a subset of MCM?

I've always considered them two different styles.

judy, Fid, Dawnno and 1 other person like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I think MCM is a term that has been overused, but we don't know for sure that these are from Denmark, however safe to say are from the mid century. I think the two terms have kind of morphed, or better stated, a subset as you said. Good point.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm wierd; I like that upholstery. It looks like it belongs on those chairs. I bet they were orange originally, or blue-green. If he really wants to sell those there shouldn't be much of a problem finding a buyer.

judy, Dawnno and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Florida should be no problem selling, lots of mcm, deco streamline modern, etc. :)

That bright green carpet is everything!

judy, Any Jewelry and Shwikman like this.
  14. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Astroturf in the living room=brilliant!!

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  15. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE the chairs ... LOVE the upholstery !!! .. VERY nice indeed !!! ... Joy. :)

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted