Featured Me smart now - got books - carnt spel tho

Discussion in 'Books' started by Miscstuff, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Picked up this lot at auction today for AU$50 and think I got a good deal. I already have Danckert for porcelain and some hallmark books but nothing like this lot. It is going to take me at least a week just to look at the pretty pictures. Are any of these considered a good reference in their area of expertise??

Cheers
    Stephen

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG

2. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Just our opinion, but, as a general rule, we'd figure the more recent the volume, the more accurate and thorough, since more information from more sources was available when it was compiled than was available in older books on the topic. The one thing you should absolutely ignore in any antiques / collectibles book of any publication date is any sort of "price guide" that many of them include.

3. Miscstuff

The only prices I care about are eboo sold listings.:D

bluumz, Aquitaine, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  4. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I rely for ID on the internet and the brains trust on this site. I am banning books, more or less, and ditching as many as possible, sad to say. But that's a great haul for $50.

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'd love the art books and the costume books in particular!

Aquitaine, Bronwen and Fid like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like you found a treasure trove! All at one auction?

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Regardless of the fact that any prices in such books are bound to be more or less useless (which I'm sure you already know) - the pictures! The write-ups! The background information! Such variety! Etc., etc.

I am a charming shade of British Racing Green!

kyratango, Aquitaine, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  8. Miscstuff

All in one lot at today's auction. Normally these sell for a lot more but the
    crowd was pretty thin.

9. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

I would have bought them as well. Though we use the internet a great deal, we wouldn't be without our reference books and we have added 3 more thisweek.

Not a chance we are getting rid of these!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

kyratango, Pat P, Aquitaine and 9 others like this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

While there are many things about Amazon that I hate, it is helpful for looking up current prices for books and reviews that can indicate whether they are considered useful or authoritative. So, look them all up there. If they have an ISBN searching by that is the fastest way to get to the same edition.

kyratango, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

@Miscstuff - now you'll be expected to answer a lot of questions !;)

kyratango, Aquitaine, judy and 4 others like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

anything to broaden your eye......is helpful and good !!

Happy reading !!!

13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A spark plug expert is just what we've been missing.

14. Miscstuff

Fascinating reading the history of spark plugs. Seems two Italians Eugenio Barsanti and Felice Matteucci in 1855 created a plug with a bottom end that looked like today's and also built the first ignition coil. Then a Belgium Jean Joseph Etienne Lenoir created the first true spark plug and distributor. Everyone who came before them tried to use open flames or gunpowder for ignition and you might find bits of them in a local cemetery.
    See. You learn something useless every day.:)
    Cheers
    Stephen

kyratango, Aquitaine, judy and 3 others like this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Now you can be our go-to guy when we have questions about any of these subjects!!

kyratango, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My FIL has 4 large spark plug cleaners from the 40s and 50s. When does he think he will be cleaning spark plugs??????
    greg

17. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Miscstuff: Often I consider the fact that I have a brain packed to the gills with utterly useless information. Interesting, sometimes fascinating, but...useless in the modern world. However, once in a while, a chance comes for me to parade my tiny bit of erudition in front of an audience which is suitably gobsmacked. :))!!)

It's not quite as easy as, just casually, over drinks at a cocktail party, to introduce the subject of spark plugs. One must wait for the introduction of certain talking points. Cars, for example. A stopped up drain in the kitchen sink. The little flame that fuels the logs in the fireplace. Then it will all come trippingly to the tongue, and you will be thought Most intelligent! And So clever.

And, if you don't happen to like cocktail parties -- wait for Jeopardy!

:)

18. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

I find it adorable to be on antiquers.com, in the “BOOKS” forum and seeing all the “I generally use the internet” post. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Draft saved Draft deleted