Medicine Tin References

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ReaperRuler, Jun 5, 2018.

1. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler New Member

Hey guys,

First off, if this is the wrong place, I apologize and cordially ask a mod to move it to the right place. Second, I was wondering if anybody had a book or website reference that they used for antique medicine tins. I collect old apothecary bottles and tins and can find several books on medicine bottles, but literally nothing on tins. Any help is appreciated!

i need help likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

i need help likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

There are books on collecting old tin wares, I would imagine there are sections in those books that address medicinal tins. Or maybe it would be in the section devoted to items sold in stores.

i need help likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Also check out advertising tins.

i need help likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe @Nathan Lindop knows some. I think he mainly collects bottles, but maybe he knows of some references.

6. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

haha thanks for thinking of me :happy: I didn’t realise I post so much about bottles :shame: I haven’t actually bought any medical tins but your right they are hard to find.

I don’t actually know of any reference guides to medical bottles to do with price guides. I have never actually looked for one properly. This book looks quite informative though, I will try and compile an annotated bibliography of references and post it :
    https://books.google.co.uk/antique+medical+bottle

But as for medical tins I don’t think there will be any references for them. Seeing as they aren’t nearly as widely collected, if they were they would be a side note to bottles im afraid. Would love to see your collection though, maybe it’ll convince some people on here to be on the lookout

i need help likes this.
  7. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler New Member

Thanks for your replies guys, I just figured I'd pick the community's collective brains!

Aquitaine likes this.