Meredew Furniture Set

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Scott Seabrook, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Scott Seabrook

Scott Seabrook New Member

50668931_980701238787630_6206478517270478848_n.jpg 50673158_312301959416467_4424418821482217472_n.jpg 50480694_620294198440665_798225109390196736_n.jpg 50431365_1354903564652044_780531905714978816_n.gif
    Hello,

I've recently inherited a Meredew furniture set which I don't really have room for. Not having any experience dealing in antiques can anybody give me some advice on how to go about selling these? And maybe a rough idea of price I should be looking for?

Kind regards,
    Scott

i need help and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Scott! :)
    People who know about Furniture will be along.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-1-22_16-46-2.jpeg

it's a very nice set......
    how to sell it and cost depends on where you are... cuz u ain't gonna be shipping these puppies any time soon.....that leaves pick up......

4. Scott Seabrook

Hello it's good to be here! I live in Norwich in the UK if that helps? Do you think it would be worth calling around local antique dealers for quotes maybe? The pricing online seems to vary wildly for similar pieces.

5. komokwa

well....number 1 ...it's not an antique...
    number 2...dealers will not give you a final price you;re looking for.
    number 3....that takes up a lot of room in a dealer space......so unless they specialize in furniture.....maybe MCM......selling it on line with pick up....seems like the best option...

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Welcome Scott, what komokwa said is very true. Strictly speaking, something has to be 100 years old to be an antique. He mentions MCM, just in case you don’t know, that stands for Mid Century Modern, so it is furniture that was made in the 1950s - 60s. It is desirable depending on where you are but it is not antique.

7. komokwa

it does have a simple elegance to it...and looks well cared for......
    but a set like this.....you may do better selling it one piece at a time.

You said it yourself........I don't really have room for it !!!

or.......If I can be so bold as to suggest.........
    scrap the stuff you own....& keep this !!!
    ;) :happy::happy::happy::happy:

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I think that mid 20th century is still selling, although it's hard to tell how long it will be before that bubble bursts.

Komo's right, probably the best way to sell is online using Craigslist or its equivalent.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

1. Welcome and 2. I'd ditch whatever contemporary flat pack furniture I had kicking around and keep this set instead! (if what you have is solid wood and genuinely antique, that's another story.) I'm in the US and furniture markets here are different. Selling it on line through an app, Facebook Marketplace, Craiglist or equivalent, Offerup, etc is probably the best option. It could also be consigned to auction if you have a reputable auction house nearby who handles mid-century furniture. Auction prices tend to be wholesale and not what you'd want for this, but it gets it out of your hair.

Ghopper1924, komokwa and i need help like this.
  10. Scott Seabrook

Thank you for all of the useful advice! I suppose it is a little recent to be called antique, ill have a go at selling it online. As for keeping it and trading out my cheap pine set, its definitely a possibility...

Christmasjoy, i need help and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

Join up here . with an open mind.....& you may just learn to see things thru our eyes.....;):):):)
    You can still sell it when ever you like.....
    but just maybe....you could learn to love it too !!!

What ever is right for you !!:)

Draft saved Draft deleted