MERMAID WITH METAL BOTTOM FROM FRONT OF SHIP/BOAT?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Feb 14, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I got this along with 4 New Guinea ancestral figures - I think the seller thought they were all just carvings but I think this one is different.
    It has what could be a mermaid at top and there is a metal/steel plate screwed into the bottom - I'm thinking this is from the front of a boat or ship and the metal part would be in the water but the metal would protect the wood?
    If it is from a boat, what did they call it?
    The only thing that bothers me is most if not all of the ladies/mermaids/mascots on the front of ships were life like & shaped - not a straight board (even though it is V shaped and would fit on the front of a boat where the 2 sides come together - but I think it'd be a small boat!
    Could it be for a door & the metal is a kick plate you use to push door open with your foot?
    Thanks for your help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY CARVED MERMAID WOOD 1AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY CARVED MERMAID WOOD 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY CARVED MERMAID WOOD 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY CARVED MERMAID WOOD 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY CARVED MERMAID WOOD 5AA.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think for a boat; but perhaps a decorative item for someplace where people might be likely to kick the bottom. Like....a doorway at an amusement arcade, merry-go-round or the like; a decorative post with foot-protector at the bottom. And that's just a guess; but the middle design reminds me of a harp or other musical symbol, and it seems vaguely circus-like.
    Just some guesses....but I don't see any nautical or figure-head connection.
    I'd be thinking US or Europe, not New Guinea.

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

The New Guinea statement was for the other figures I got with this one - I posted asking about them & there are photos.
    This one has me stumped!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

You probably mean for a bowsprit. I don't think so but maybe.
    I like it though. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I agree with all-fakes,this looks circus/carnival oriented and I love it ! Maybe part of a merry go round? id research it well,if genuine it could be worth a dollar or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted