Featured Metal brooch - silver? To clean or not to clean?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Batman_2000, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

I picked this silver tone brooch up today - looks like it has some age? My initial thought was 'this will clean up lovely'.... but now I look properly, maybe the darkened effect is intentional? Measures about 4cm across and the pin is a simple construction. Any thoughts? Arts & crafts, or not that old??? I've looked for marks but can't see any yet.

Many thanks as always!

metal brooch 1.jpg

metal brooch 2.jpg metal brooch 4.jpg metal brooch 6.jpg

lauragarnet, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Quite cleverly made. :)

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is tarnished and not intentionally. Polish the hell out of it. The discoloration of the pin and other areas are not artistic but the pin has sat in a damp area for a while. It will be stunning as a bright shiny pin again.
    greg

Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  4. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I think this is a cool design too and would love to see it polished up. Can we get an after shot?

Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Sonic clean it maybe?

Batman_2000 likes this.
  6. Batman_2000

Thanks everyone! So, I'm going to clean it and post the results... I love the idea of using a sonic cleaner (looks so easy!), but have read it's not too good for removing tarnish? Is that right? The brooch is too intricate for a cleaning cloth, so maybe a chemical cleaner is needed?

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think that chemical cleaning should be your first action. A lot of what's giving it the dark appearance is "gunk" - oils from being handled, dust and dirt. Polish won't remove that easily. And I just checked my jar of jewelry cleaner which makes no mention that it works on silver. Take it to a good local jeweler first and see if they think sonic cleaning will help. I've only had sonic cleaning done (professionally) on gold and diamond pieces.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

NO CHEMICALS!!!! Or at least, no Silver Dip.

Ahem. And not shiny please, either. This is early 20th C from the look of it, and the dark gives lovely contrast.

A sonic cleaner will take off dirt but not tarnish, so it's a good start. Then over it with a Sunshine Cloth, which will get off most of any tarnish. If you want to do the fiddly bits, get Goddards Silver Foam. Rather than using the sponge they provide, use a cotton bud.

Or send it to me.

9. Batman_2000

Ok, no silver dip, I promise! I've soaked it in some warm water and a drop of mild washing up liquid (I hope that doesn't count as chemicals) and Bakersma is right, a lot of it is gunk... it's already looking better. A gentle polish with the sunshine cloth is bringing the clean areas up nicely. It needs a lot more work though, and I'm nervous now, lol!!! I'd take photos but it's too dark here... maybe I'll pop into the jeweller's in town tomorrow and see what they can offer.

Thanks for the tip re Goddard's silver foam, Ownedbybear, I'll definitely look into that :)

Does anyone have an opinion on age of the piece?

yourturntoloveit and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

You could also try an old toothbrush with the Silver Foam, that works. Or just an old toothbrush with water and a drop of Fairy. Like I said, early 20th.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  11. Batman_2000

Thanks again, and sorry, I missed your earlier age estimate! Was too worried about avoiding chemicals!

12. Ownedbybear

Quite right too. ;)

Batman_2000 likes this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love this, and am looking forward to seeing the "after" photos.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  14. Batman_2000

Quick update - I've removed some of the 'dirt' using an old toothbrush and washing up liquid, and some gentle elbow grease with a sunshine cloth (don't they make your fingers black, haha?!!!).

But as you can see from the photos, the grime was pretty thick in places and is coming off in patches. There's one thing for certain... this brooch was well handled/worn!

So, what to do next? I'm thinking of investing in a sonic cleaner (plenty of other jewellery that will benefit too). I've yet to try any silver polish, although I'm worried that'll make it bright and shiny and I'm not sure I want that. But that's got to be better than patchy grime?

Or is it worth taking for a professional clean at a jewellers?

Decision, decisions!

brooch.jpg

brooch2.jpg

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Toothbrush and Goddards Silver Foam. That ought to do it.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  16. Batman_2000

Thanks, that'll be my next step then ;-)

17. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I have a modest collection of antique silver. I clean it with silver foam. Very effective and you need VERY little paste.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  18. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Ultrasonic cleaners are for dirt only.

A sonic cleaner is the old man in the corner polishing away and grumbling non-stop.

I'd leave it as it is now. Any form of paid for cleaning at this stage would be a total waste of money.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Totally agree on paid for. I'd buy it as is.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  20. Batman_2000

I went to a jeweller's and two hardware stores in town today and was told by all of them that Goddard's no longer exists, and the stocks of silver foam have run out! One of them said they would be stocking Hagerty's silver foam in future (but don't have any in just yet). I can still find Goddard's products on eBay but thought it worth passing this information on.

Good news is, the jeweller said he'd have a look at the brooch and potentially clean it for free (if I decide to go ahead) :)

Jen and George likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted